Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Track Points behavior to move both ends of a line?

I have two objects moving in a video and want to attach a line shape between them.

After using the Motion Tracking behavior to track the motion of both objects I used the Track Point behavior to try to attach the line.

I can attach one endpoint to one of the objects, but I am having difficulty attaching the second endpoint to the second object.

Am I missing something simple?

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 8:40 AM

16 replies

Jan 27, 2017 9:38 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Ok,

Here is a screenshot :

User uploaded file

As you can see, it works for one dot.

But soon as I activate the second track point behavior, an awful offset appears :

User uploaded file

I know there is an offset on the anchor-point in the tutorial and a rate on a rotation but I was looking for to not add theses parts of the tip because draw circles are more efficients.

Is it possible ?

Jan 27, 2017 8:51 PM in response to Robert Kleindienst1

How did you do to adjust your dots on the circles ?

no clue how I did two years ago 😁

so, from zero:

User uploaded file

here's my new project:

two dot.pngs, two circles (which have only illustrational use in my set)

you notice: the dot.pngs anchor is not in the center of the png but off-set to the circles

=> when you now 'Rate' the z-axis of the png, it rotates 'along' the circle - it doesn't, just (intentional) similarity 😉

User uploaded file

next: drawing a line btw. both dots.

Apply 'Track Point' Behaviour twice, check/uncheck which point of the line should follow which dot (be disciplined with naming elements 😉 ) - aaand:

User uploaded file

da Maschine worx … LOL

again: the circles are just illustration, no motion-paths or wotever, the animation would work without it!

Jan 28, 2017 8:38 PM in response to Combo

Combo wrote:

Ok,

How did you do ?

I discloser here my best kept secrets! 😉

Trouble with that kind of animation (which is not done in Motion, if I remember correctly) you would have to have the need to access these two parameters of a Shape:

User uploaded file

… and Apple in its limitless wisdom prohibits just that.

So, Plan B

Using an Image? And apply the Four Corners to the dummy.dots, to 'stretch' the image? Nope, doesn't work either (somehow Linking the Four Corners to the dummy dots position doesn't work, at last for me)

So, what we need is a line with a flexible start- and end-point - which is in M5 only manageable with an - drumroll! - Emitter:

Set some crazy parameters…

User uploaded file

… for instance 10.000 Birth Rate, to make 'many dots' a 'solid' line … which doesn't come out very well … for me.

No, best to my knowledge, your only real option is to keyframe the line manually 😟

Jan 27, 2017 7:52 AM in response to Combo

Combo wrote:

I understood that with this tutorial :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaj969r7t9I

I'd like to extend it with a motion path on a draw circle to control the radius of the rotation …

that was my source of knowledge either! If I remember correctly (two years ago!) the two dots where simply rotating around an off-set anchor-point … no paths involved 😉

can you apply a screen-shot/scribble of your 'construction'? I'm a bit lost in translation …

in my example, I would simply rig the anchor-points position to vary the circles diameter …

Plus, you've followed Mark's advice to track the points on first use?

Apr 26, 2015 10:24 AM in response to Robert Kleindienst1

Robert Kleindienst1 wrote:

I have two objects moving in a video and want to attach a line shape between them....

Have a look:

User uploaded file

two circles, a 'dot' applied to each, the dots are moved by a behavior to rotate....

The line connecting them. is a bezier

no Motion Tracking needed

Just dragging the dot into the TrackPoint's dwell

And:

Select which points are tracked - see the red arrows:

User uploaded file

Using Track Points behavior to move both ends of a line?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.