Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-linking Itunes music.

Hi,

I just did a fresh OS install on my computer and all my itunes music is on a separate hard drive. I want to re-link my music. I have gone into Preferences and set the media folder location to "/Volumes/Mac Drive 2/ITunes/Itunes Music/Music".

How do I get the music to re-link WITHOUT making a copy?

Thanks,

Gary

Mac OS-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 6:15 AM

Preferences settings do not affect iTunes links or get iTunes to scan for media already added. The links are generated when the music is first added to iTunes.

It is not clear how you have things set up a regards to the location of your library files and your media files. Assuming you have only media files on the external drive, when iTunes asks you to find the file you want it to play when you click on a track do just that. It will then ask if you want it to find others.

It would be best to make your library portable. Image of folder structure and explanation of different iTunes versions (turingtest2 post) - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392 and making an iTunes library portable.

Now having said all that, there may be something else going on. First, why did you do a "fresh" OS installation? That's a very Windows-ish solution to a computer problem. I haven't installed a fresh OS on my Mac in 8 years. Second, installing a fresh OS should not have affected your iTunes library. If you are having to set up links again I am wondering if your main library file got deleted (and which you can restore from your backup you made before installing an OS). If that is the case you will have to add all your files back to a fresh iTunes library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Gary Goldblum

Preferences settings do not affect iTunes links or get iTunes to scan for media already added. The links are generated when the music is first added to iTunes.

It is not clear how you have things set up a regards to the location of your library files and your media files. Assuming you have only media files on the external drive, when iTunes asks you to find the file you want it to play when you click on a track do just that. It will then ask if you want it to find others.

It would be best to make your library portable. Image of folder structure and explanation of different iTunes versions (turingtest2 post) - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392 and making an iTunes library portable.

Now having said all that, there may be something else going on. First, why did you do a "fresh" OS installation? That's a very Windows-ish solution to a computer problem. I haven't installed a fresh OS on my Mac in 8 years. Second, installing a fresh OS should not have affected your iTunes library. If you are having to set up links again I am wondering if your main library file got deleted (and which you can restore from your backup you made before installing an OS). If that is the case you will have to add all your files back to a fresh iTunes library.

Re-linking Itunes music.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.