Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received an e mail not sure if phishing, which said I was charged for an app I did not download. I tried to change my password but Apple says this is not possible. How to proceed

Hello

I received an e mail saying I am being charged for an app. that I did not download, and it even said the location (foreign) of the person who downloaded.

It appears that one can not change their password. How do I go about making sure this doesn't happen again or if even legit.

Thank you. C.P.

iPad Mini, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:32 AM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2015 10:57 AM in response to oolalaccrew

stedman correct 100%

Something you said kind of concerns me:

It appears that one can not change their password.

Did you in fact respond to the email and attempt to do anything at the site at which you arrived? If so, consider your information compromised and change all your passwords now. If you did in fact give any other personal info, act accordingly on those avenues as well. If no, then you should be fine.

BTW, there is no way to "stop" receiving these attempts, only the wisdom not to respond - reporting is helpful to make the perpetrator move on to other pastures.

Apr 26, 2015 5:38 PM in response to oolalaccrew

oolalaccrew wrote:

Hello

I received an e mail saying I am being charged for an app. that I did not download, and it even said the location (foreign) of the person who downloaded.

It appears that one can not change their password. How do I go about making sure this doesn't happen again or if even legit.

Thank you. C.P.

You can ALWAYS change your password. If you clicked a link in the email it did NOT go to an Apple site, and you have just given your password to criminals. Go to https://appleid.apple.com to change your password. And do it immediately. It may be too late, if the criminals have changed your password and taken over your account.

I received an e mail not sure if phishing, which said I was charged for an app I did not download. I tried to change my password but Apple says this is not possible. How to proceed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.