Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic: MacBook Air 2012

Recently, I’ve been experiencing crashes, and then greeted by “Your computer has been restarted because of a problem…”. I’ve tried re-installing the OS X; though it didn’t help. I don’t remember any specific software that I installed recently that may be causing this issue. The frequency of this crash has been increasing recently, last two happened with in the time frame of 2 hours. Below is the hardware overview, and I’ve attached the System Diagnostic Reports generated near the crash. I noticed that there were two one called "Kernel_…" and another called "WacomTabletDriver_…” within a minute of the crash, could they be related to the problem? I’ve also noticed that the PC has been recently overheating very easily, e.g. when I’ve only Safari, iTunes, Skype, and Mail with CPU load of 30%; the temp is about 85º - 90º C. Could this also be related to the problem?

Hardware Overview

Model Name: MacBook Air     
  Model Identifier: MacBookAir5,1
  Processor Name: Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed: 2 GHz
  Number of Processors: 1
  Total Number of Cores: 2
  L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
  L3 Cache: 4 MB
  Memory: 4 GB
  Boot ROM Version: MBA51.00EF.B02
  SMC Version (system): 2.4f19
  Hardware UUID: B996D21F-5656-52C7-9AC4-5E8651E8C8B6

Kernel Panic Report

Wacom Table Driver Report

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:04 AM

8 replies

Apr 26, 2015 11:10 AM in response to psiyag

The first step in diagnosing software-related kernel panic reports is to boot Safe Mode and determine if they persist.

Do you need this? If not, uninstall it or search for an update.

http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net

Same for "Boom", "NoSleep", "Little Snitch" and anything else that modifies OS X.

Powerstats is normal. If you don't want OS X to collect diagnostic and usage data, disable it in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.

May 1, 2015 9:25 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the reply. I did uninstall TunTap, don't know how it got installed though. I also uninstalled NoSleep. As for Little Snitch, and Boom; I've had them for quite a while and the crashes started recently. I did disable Boom for the time being. It did decrease the amount of crashes, though I had one two days ago. It didn't create a new kernel panic log. Neither were they created in old ones. Only the one I posted here. Do you know why that could be? Could it be because of a hardware problem that it doesn't produce any logs?

May 2, 2015 8:57 AM in response to psiyag

Programs that crash and kernel panics are logged differently, with crash reports ending in the suffix .crash and KP ending in the suffix .panic. Find the crash report that occurred after uninstalling the questionable system modifications, or the most recent one, whichever is later, and post its entire contents.

Be sure to delete or obscure any information in that report you may consider personal before clicking the Reply button.

Could it be because of a hardware problem that it doesn't produce any logs?

That is possible, and requires examining system.log. The reason for an abnormal shutdown might be logged.

May 10, 2015 5:09 AM in response to John Galt

I don't remember any specific app that crashed before the panic, and there are a lot of logs. I also experienced another Kernel Panic two days ago, here is the link to the log. Could take a look and tell me about anything out of the ordinary. I've also notices a lot of graphics glitches like random coloured lines on the screen blinking, only way to get to go away is move between Spaces (from Mission Control). Could it related to the graphics problem?

Thanks for your help.

May 10, 2015 7:45 AM in response to psiyag

VLC was running when that event was logged. Not much more than that can be determined from that particular KP report, but uninstalling VLC is justified.

VideoLAN provides these instructions https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Uninstalling_VLC/#Mac_OS_X however, I recommend you do not download, install, or use any third party "cleaners" or "zappers" to eradicate it. If you are unable to uninstall VLC using their instructions, write back for additional suggestions.

Global Delight Technologies "Boom" is also installed and has been known to cause trouble, but not the graphics anomaly you describe. Uninstall it according to its instructions. If you need Boom you can always install it again from the Mac App Store.

Back up your Mac prior to making any changes to its file system. To learn how to use Time Machine read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.

May 13, 2015 1:26 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for all the help you are providing. It is really helping. I have removed the Boom app, from the instruction provided on their website. As for VLC, isn't it supposed to be a good player? I can uninstall it but I use it quite often for network streaming, I did a fresh install should that be enough? Also yesterday, I had a "gpuRestart" Kernel Panic, you can see the file here. Any specific reason this could be happening? The graphics glitches and system crashes started having after updating to 10.10.3, could be a co-incedence or not. Anyways I looked reason for gpuRestart on Google, and here it says to turn the Automatic graphics switching off, I don't have that option in my Preferences. Probably because MacBook Air's don't have two GPUs. So any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks again for having a look at this.

May 13, 2015 6:08 AM in response to psiyag

VLC isn't supposed to be able to do that, but removing it is a troubleshooting step. The GPU hang event may or may not be related to it, but you're right in that a MacBook Air uses only the Intel integrated CPU/GPU so there is not much else you can do. It may be a hardware problem that only Apple will be able to confirm or repair.

Genius Bar Reservations

Kernel Panic: MacBook Air 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.