Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac3,5 running 10.4.11.

The computer name and System Profiler name are different and I can't make them agree. Went to System Preferences/Sharing and changed the name from MY NAME to the Computer name, but it still reverts to MY NAME on the System Profiler.

I would like to donate this machine, but don't want my name on the machine.

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 8:55 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2015 5:54 AM in response to BDAqua

It is showing up on the Sharing Screen in System Preferences as Computer Name = Mary Jones. I've changed it to MacG4, and this name appears up by the Spotlight; however, the message under Computer Name (Mary Jones) is "other computers on your local subnet can access your computer at MacG4.local.

I have created a new user admin account and deleted the original, but same thing happens.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 29, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Maureen Weinstock

The machine doesn't stick between restarts--works fine, although slow, because of the limited memory.

I couldn't find my user name with Spotlight, but I discovered an icon with my name assigned to it. I edited it to Jane Doe, and it saved it. This evidently is some other assigned user name somewhere within this machine.

Anyhow, I can now donate it anonymously.

Thank you for your help.

Maureen

PowerMac3,5 running 10.4.11.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.