Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I format a new USB stick on my iMac

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 11:07 AM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2015 11:16 AM in response to charlie569

Drive Partition and Format

1.Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select the flash drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

Apr 26, 2015 3:28 PM in response to charlie569

Do these screen shots help?

User uploaded file

You need select the USB drive (in this example, my 65.5MB USB drive is selected on the left)

You need to select the "Partition" tab

You need to specify the number of partitions, ESPECIALLY if you want to change the partition table via the "Options..." button.

You need to specify the number of partitions, if you want to change the name and the format

User uploaded file

Clicking on the "Options..." button allows you to select the partition table format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.