Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto: After I've changed the file name/format in Finder iPhoto can't load/relink to the referenced file.

After I've changed the file name/format in Finder iPhoto can't load/relink to the referenced file anymore. For some reasons I don't like to reimport the file.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:16 AM

15 replies

Apr 26, 2015 9:53 AM in response to No idea.at

You've corrupted the library by renaming the source file so iPhoto can't find it. Don't you get a message that iPhoto can't find the file and asks you to locate it?

User uploaded file

Click on Find Photo, navigate to the newly renamed file and select.

Otherwise you'll have to start over and reimport all of your "referenced" files. That's just one of many reasons it's not recommended to use a "referenced" library.

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2015 2:38 PM in response to No idea.at

Hmm the advice has been not to use referenced libraries - you ignored and did it anyway and you find the advise not helpful

Furthermore the advice is that if you choose to use a referenced library that you assure that the path never changes - you also choose to ignore that advice and do it anyway - and you blame the peopson trying to help you

once again - you have one choice - change the file names back and put the files back in the exact same place - and again you are totally ignoring the advice and instead name calling and attacking the person giving you advice

Maybe life would be easier if you followed advice rather than ignoring it and then complaining that things no longer work

change the name back and you will be fine until the next problem you hit that is caused by choosing a referenced library

Have a nice day

LN

Apr 27, 2015 10:33 AM in response to No idea.at

There is no discussion - it is answered and you keep moving off the subject - time to close it off

Correct - one of MANY reasons that referenced libraries are strongly NOT recommended in iPhoto - change the name back and you will be fine until the next problem you hit that is caused by choosing a referenced library -- see iPhoto and File Management

The answer is simple - you screwed up and the solution is to undo the damage you did to yourself

LN

iPhoto: After I've changed the file name/format in Finder iPhoto can't load/relink to the referenced file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.