Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Frozen" iPod classic

Are there any other ways to unfreeze an iPod classic other than the prescribed methods?

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 2:36 PM

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities

I would first suggest rebooting the iPod by holding down the center button + Menu for a few seconds.

-Zeph

9 replies

Apr 28, 2015 4:23 PM in response to QuickPost

When I hold down the Menu and Select buttons, the screen goes blank for a second, then the Apple logo appears again.

I was able to reformat it using Disc Utility. Then tried to verify it and it says that everything "appears" to be ok.

In the diagnostic mode I get

Retracts: 175

Reallocs: 3328

I suppose that means the drive is bad?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

After writing the above, I tried the 12 sec hold down. I was finally able to restore it with iTunes, and looks like it is working again!

Thanks to zmclearan and turingtest2!

Apr 28, 2015 4:52 PM in response to soyeso

However, do the large numbers mean that the drive is going bad?

One thing I have noticed in the past is that when I eject the iPod from the Mac, the iPod message says "OK to disconnect" but it is not OK.

I have to wait another 15 secs or so, otherwise the unit is corrupted again, and I have to restore it.

"Frozen" iPod classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.