Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you update itunes on new laptop from ipod?

Hi, can anyone help me plse! I have downloaded the latest version of iTunes onto a new laptop; I had backed up my old one onto a separate hard drive, but the new iTunes has only taken a partial amount of the library from this source. When I go to sync my IPOD, which has everything on it, I'm worried it will wipe what's on the IPOD and replace it with what is one iTunes, when I want it to do the opposite, ie take everything from my IPOD into my iTunes library.

I have just added a CD, which has understandably just gone into my new library and not onto the IPOD.

Any suggestions gratefully received !

Alan

iPod classic

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:41 AM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2015 11:00 AM in response to gahsmith - Alan

There are several 3rd party utilities that can be used for this - see turingtest2's user tip on Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for details. You can also achieve a partial recovery (media only, possibly without artwork, as follows):

• Run iTunes with your iPod not connected, select Edit > Preferences > Devices and check the Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically box
  • Connect your iPod, select the Summary tab and check the Enable disk use box
  • Exit iTunes
  • You should now be able to see your iPod as a disc drive in Windows Explorer. Make sure that you've configured Windows to show hidden files and folders (Organize > Folder Search and Options, View tab).
  • Open the iPod_Control folder on your iPod, and copy the Music folder that you'll see there to your desktop
  • Still using Windows Explorer, right click on the Music folder just copied to your desktop and make sure that both the Read-only and Hidden flags are cleared.
  • Run iTunes, select File > Add Folder to Library..., navigate to and select the Music folder on your desktop
  • The previous content of your iPod should now be added to your library. Any songs/albums for which you'd previously used the Get Album Artwork function will no longer have associated images, but these should be easily redone.

Can you update itunes on new laptop from ipod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.