Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updates shows wrong Apple ID

Today my Apple ID on updates changed and not of my doing. I'm not able to change the ID and am unable therefore to get my updates. I've already gone through getting the Apple ID procedure and ID's are fine in iTunes and the other places in the app store, but the incorrect ID in updates won't change.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:59 AM

13 replies

Mar 10, 2017 12:25 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc - stumbled across your reply when trying to sort out my mum's Mac Mini which had been passed down to her from my brother-in-law. His Apple ID had been used to install Numbers and Pages and despite deleting them (she uses Office instead) they were still showing in the App Store updates page and requiring his Apple ID and password to interact with. Using your method I was able to find the remaining files relating to those updates and remove them so they no longer show in the App Store as pending updates.

Apr 28, 2015 5:43 AM in response to mariefromnewengland

The Apple ID under which the app was downloaded/purchased under is the only Apple ID that can retrieve said updates for that app.

Example of cases where this might occur:

1. You acquired the computer second hand and it was already pre-installed with apps from the previous owner.

2. You physically changed your Apple ID to a new one. Past downloads/purchases will always be tied to the original Apple ID, it will not migrate to the new Apple ID.

3. Someone in your household installed an app using a different Apple ID.

If you know the above not to be the case, try logging in the App Store using your Apple ID. Then select Store > View My Account. Then click on the Reset button next to "Reset all warnings for buying and downloading." Then log out of the App Store. Then log back in to the App Store. Click on the Purchases tab. Anything that you have installed under your Apple ID will be listed. If you have updates for apps not listed here, then they are installed under a different Apple ID.

Apr 26, 2015 2:31 PM in response to mariefromnewengland

App Store products can only be updated by signing in to the store with the same Apple ID that was originally used to download them. You can't update anything, including your own purchases, as long as there are pending updates linked to the other ID.

If you can't sign in with the other ID, you have to delete all the apps that are linked to it. If you don't know which apps those are, see below.

1. Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt=1

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

2. In the Finder, press command-F to open a search window, or select

File Find

from the menu bar. In the search window, select

Search: This Mac

from the row of tokens below the toolbar. Below that is a popup menu of search criteria, initially showing Kind. From that menu, select

Other...

A sheet will drop down. In that sheet, select

Raw Query

as the criterion, then click OK or press return.

Now there will be a text box to the right of the menu of search criteria. That's where you enter the raw search query. Click in that box and paste the text you copied earlier by pressing command-V.

3. The search window will now show all the App Store products that are installed. Compare those search results with the list of your purchases from the App Store. To see the complete list, you may need to unhide hidden purchases. If any apps were download from the App Store using other Apple ID accounts that you control, sign in to the store under each of those ID's and check the purchases.

4. At least one of the apps in the Spotlight search results is not among your purchases in the App Store. Delete each such item by following the instructions in the Apple Support article linked above.

5. Quit and relaunch the App Store.

If you find these instructions confusing, ask for an alternative method.

Apr 27, 2015 6:13 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc. When I return from my appt. later today I'll try this method. Strange thing; last night on software updates with the incorrect Apple ID i entered an old password and the software updates were installed. Can one use a different Apple ID and password in different app stores? iTunes accepts my correct ID and PW but shows no purchases, even though I purchased many iTunes using an old ID and PW. Anyway, later I'll try your method and will let you know the results.

Apr 27, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, Eric, for verifying what I accidentally discovered by looking for a solution to my wrong ID in software updates. Until several months ago my internet provider had a .net address, but I changed providers and got a .com address, nothing like the incorrect ID that shows now on updates. I also changed my password. I wasn't sure what my old password had been but took a guess and it was the right one because I got the updates. So from now to eternity I'll have a different ID and PW for updates.

Apr 27, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Linc Davis

I used your method, Linc, and saw there were several apps. It would be time consuming to use my incorrect ID and check purchases, so I'm going to leave things alone. Eric verified that I can use different IDs and PWs in different stores so I've created a page in my password book that reminds me of what ID and PW to use. Thanks for your efforts and reply.

Jul 28, 2015 8:55 PM in response to mariefromnewengland

I just had the same problem. I never had this problem before. I went to do 2 updates, and my husband's apple ID came up. Now what do I do? It doesn't give you the ability to change the ID and put in the correct one with password. I tried the suggestions re: the ITunes store; it didn't help. Everything there is ok. I'm not a techie....HELP!

Updates shows wrong Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.