Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question mark on startup when reinstalling OSX

Hi,

The question is about my MacBook Pro 13’’ 2.9 Ghz Mid-2012.

I will start of by writing a summery of the history of problems before asking the question.

10 months ago my HD failed. I bought a new Samsung 500GB SSD but the disc utility failed to recognize it. I solved the problem by replacing the hard drive cable, whereupon I successfully installed the OSX. Until this week everything has worked fine: The problems started when installing an update for Yosemite. The system became unstable, it froze and would shut down spontaneously and have some problem with the prohibitory sign error upon startup. Believing it was just a bad update, I was happy to see that a new update for Yosemite was released the following day, though installing it just worsened the problem: The instability was left, but now it would get stuck at the prohibitory sign every startup (except when draining the battery to zero, then it would start up just fine for some reason). I did the Apple Hardware Test (no error), checked the disc in the Internet recovery disc utility (no error), NVRAM reset and SMC reset. The problems persisted so I figured I might as well swipe the disc and do a new clean reinstall of the OS. I did a secure erase (writing over the disc with zeroes) but it failed after one hour for some reason. I then reformatted the disc to Mac OS Extended Journaled and partioned it. When installing the OS, at the restart it now get stuck at the question mark error. I have tried reaching the boot disc by pressing “options” on startup, but when choosing it I still get stuck at the question mark. I have also tried to erase and reformat the drive repeatedly but with the same result.

Now to the question: I have read that this could be a problem with the hard drive cable failing, but I do find it unlikely having changed it so recently. Furthermore, unlike last time, the disc utility do recognize the hard drive. What do you guys think I should do?

Best Regards,

JL

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:15 AM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2015 3:10 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I have not modified any TRIM settings with the SSD, but I guess they are disabled since I've been successfully running Yosemite with it for ten months. The OSX reinstallation I am now attempting to do is with Mountain Lion (being the factory-OSX of my mid-2012, and therefore the only one available in internet recovery), so the problems linked should not occur regardless.

Apr 26, 2015 3:42 PM in response to Herr_lorentz

Not really critical, but my records show that a mid 2012 MBP came with Lion, not Mt. Lion. In order to reinstall the original OSX, make certain that your data is backed up. I assume you are aware that the boot process involves OPTION + COMMAND + R at start

up and the resulting display will be a revolving globe.

User uploaded file

A solid Internet connection will be required.

Ciao.

Question mark on startup when reinstalling OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.