Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro early 2011 grey/blue screen.

Hey all,

I'm at the end of my wits, to be honest. Last night, I was doing some work on Photoshop and my early 2011 Macbook Pro (15", 2,2 Ghz QuadCore i7 processor) crashed. The screen went black and I had to force it to shut off (because nothing responded). Ever since, I haven't been able to boot up my laptop; not properly.

No matter in what mode I try to boot (safe mode, single user mode, recovery, netboot, disk utility etc.), I am always taken to the log in screen (where it displays my user and the guest user, as per normal). After typing up my password, it'll give the impression of loading up, but the progress bar halts about 1/3 of the way, whereafter the screen will go a solid grey (no logo whatsoever), and a minute later the laptop will turns itself off before restarting without further prompting.

I hooked the HDD up to a friend's iMac, and though it took a while for it to boot (it also got stuck on a grey screen for a while before logging in properly), it did eventually load up. All my stuff was still there, so I'm guessing some permission of sorts might be messed up in the HDD, but it's not entirely... dead, basically. We ran a verify + repair on it before hooking it up to my Macbook again via USB. This time, I was to log in again, though it ended up on a blue screen with vertical stripes. I believe that may well be Apple's equivalent of the Blue Screen of Death.
The same happened when I inserted my SDD (which was empty the first time, though contained Mountainlion install files the 2nd). The laptop also did not manage to boot off a USB with the install files on it, nor off a CD with the files.

I can get into single user mode with my SSD hooked up, though I don't think the fsck commands etc. will do much for a completely empty desk (save for the install files on it).

I am at a complete loss at this point. I've tried various things over the course of 6 hours and nothing has worked. Is it right of me to assume this problem has to do with what is addressed in THIS article? If so: is a replacement of the Logicboard the next move?

Cheers and thanks for reading,

Luca.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:30 AM

There are no replies.

Macbook Pro early 2011 grey/blue screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.