Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.2 hangs while analyzing clip

Ever since updating to FCPX 10.2, when I import a clip and set it to transcode and analyze the clip after import, or manually analyze a clip already in an event, it just hangs at 0%. Last week I let my computer go 3 days and it still didn't progress past 0%. I've tried this on other computers (all the same age or newer), too, after installing the latest OS, FCPX, and Pro Video Codec updates, all with the same result. Anyone know of a fix?

User uploaded file

Main system:

iMac 21.5 Mid 2011

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

OS 10.10.3 (14D136)

FCPX 10.2 (Build 262455)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:14 AM

10 replies

Apr 26, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Here's a screenshot of my default import settings. It shows the answer to all your questions. Newly imported media clips are supposed to be transcoded into the default "optimized" format and then are to be analyzed for balanced color. (I'm doing a quick turn around of service videos for a church, so I'm just relying on the auto color settings rather than spending the time to color grade the video manually.)

User uploaded file

The other time I'm running into this problem is when I manually select a clip that has already been imported (such as clips added to an event prior to the 10.2 update) and select "Analyze and Fix."

I didn't have any of these problems prior to updating to OS X 10.10.3 and FCPX 10.2. (Both OS X and FCPX were updated on the same day, so I'm not sure which is the culprit.

Apr 26, 2015 12:09 PM in response to akdcen

And just to note, this latest hang that I've encountered has happened when trying to import multiple file types:

• MP4 video (h.264 codec)
  • AIFF audio file
  • JPG image

All with the same results...nothing. Status remains at 0% with all the files as shown in the screenshot in my original post. The problem has been replicated on multiple other Macs.

Apr 26, 2015 12:31 PM in response to akdcen

UUnless there something unusual in the media specs, whatever they are, or where the media's stored, wherever that is, I don't know what's causing the problem. Can't reproduce it on a number of long recordings I have. Sure you have enough space for the optimized media? In the first image, is the media being transcoded or analyzed? Twirl open the disclosure triangle. Are you doing this directly off SD cards? They're incredibly slow to process. I'm running 18 GB of AVCHD and DSLR media and not getting what you're getting.

Apr 28, 2015 8:48 AM in response to a1angeles

Tom,

I have plenty of HD space available. I'm importing 2 hours of video and an hour of audio and have over 650GB of available HD. This is a process that we have been doing every week of a couple of years. So I know the amount of disk space I have available is way more than enough. The source of the import is my hard drive as I already copied the files to my computer prior to import. Note that the screenshot below shows that the media was s

Here's the expanded view of the Background Task Monitor. Note that this screenshot was taken after 46 hours of "working." (Obviously it's not working.)

User uploaded file

Before making my initial post on Sunday, I, too, tried everything that a1angelestried, as those options were suggested in other forums.

May 18, 2015 8:20 AM in response to akdcen

I just updated to FCPX 10.2.1 and updated my library. Then added a new Event and imported a brand new clip M4V clip. Still no joy. Note that the clips that will not analyze or transcode are h.264 M4V, that were originally recorded from our live broadcast using Adobe Flash Live Media Encoder, again using the h.264 codec, but inside FLME's F4V container. Then I used the Adobe "flattening" command line tool to convert or flatten the file to the M4V container. We've been using this same process for several years with no problem. Then I update FCPX to 10.2.x and the problem started. That's the only thing that has changed, so I don't understand why it will not work. Clips coming from one of our cameras import, analyze, and transcode without a problem. I've tried changing the file container to MP4 since I've run into that problem with other software before were an MP4 video will only be imported if the file is either in MP4 or M4V, but not vice versa.

May 18, 2015 9:09 AM in response to akdcen

I have the same problems of stability machine MPRO 2015 and this happened when I upgraded Yosemite 10.10.3've already reported the problem but no one can give me the answer I got back to version 10.10.2 Yosemite, and everything works including plugins and exports blocking FCPX 10.2.1 including the stabilization that was sending the whole system crash

10.2 hangs while analyzing clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.