Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading Photos from iPhone using Windows

I have an iphone 5s (iOS 8.2) and use Windows 7. In the past, I have downloaded my iphone photos to my hard drive by plugging the iphone in with a USB cable, using Windows Explorer to navigate to the iphone hard drive, copying the files to my hard drive, and the deleting them on my iphone in order to save space (always using windows explorer). Now, when I go to do that, only a few weeks worth of photos are shown on the iphone hard drive, even though the photos that I can view on my iphone date back over many months. The change seems to be connected to icloud, although I am not sure. I have the "photos" setting in icloud set to "on." I would like to know how I can get all of my iphone photos easily downloaded to my windows hard drive, and then delete them from the iphone in order to free up space. Thank you

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:18 AM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2015 4:54 PM in response to sdoelger

I have this exact same problem. My iphone 5 (iOS 8.3) is showing I have 1,616 photos stored on my phone. I can open and view the photos just fine on my phone. When I connect my iphone to my PC to backup my pictures the DCIM folder only shows 61 pictures. How can I view/open the rest of my pictures on my PC (windows 8)? I think I have similar problem is the user who created this discussion.

Apr 26, 2015 5:01 PM in response to sdoelger

Launch the Microsoft Camera and Scanner Wizard, or use any Windows photo management app that you can use with a standard digital camera. If you have iCloud Photo Library enabled (Settings/iCloud/Photos) this replaces downloading photos to your computer. This should be OFF if you do not want your photos stored in iCloud and you instead want to download them to your computer.

Apr 26, 2015 5:06 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch, think you for the quick reply. I think you're right about the iCloud photo library being enabled. I think the primary issue with me is that I have the "optimize iphone storage" feature enabled under icloud/photos. I guess my phone is running really low on space so this feature flipped on. I can view all my pictures on my PC if I go to icloud.com.

I'm sure there's a way to back up these photos now to my PC from icloud.com.

thank you,

Downloading Photos from iPhone using Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.