Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 will not boot after installation on mac pro

I have a mac pro 2006, and wish to install windows7 on another internal drive, when I follow bootcamp to the point where it says load installation disc for windows 7, it tries to load, but then I get an empty folder with a question mark in it. So then I tried an install on just an internal hard drive not using bootcamp, this time it seems to do a full installation, but when it tries to restart I get a mac symbol, with a no entry sign, any help please.

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:45 PM

If your second drive has a full installation of Windows, because the NVRAM is set to boot from the OS X Device path, it causes issues, for reboot.

Plug in both drives OS X and Windows after powering down the MP. Run

a. SMC Reset - Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

b. NVRAM Reset - How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Test.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 12:45 PM in response to dave Ballard1

If your second drive has a full installation of Windows, because the NVRAM is set to boot from the OS X Device path, it causes issues, for reboot.

Plug in both drives OS X and Windows after powering down the MP. Run

a. SMC Reset - Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

b. NVRAM Reset - How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Test.

Apr 26, 2015 1:40 PM in response to dave Ballard1

Can you boot Windows in Safe Mode?

With both disks plugged in to the MP, can you post the output of the following Terminal commands?

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

Based on the output, I can provide additional commands to get more details. If you do get a Windows logo, and then it fails, there may be also an issue with the BCD (Boot Configuration Data), which may need bootrec.exe or Startup Repair.

Apr 27, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Loner T

I can boot in windows safe mode, but, I cannot restart or finish the installation,

for diskutil list i got

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: Windows_NTFS 500.1 GB disk0s1

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Hitachi 1000 master 1.7 TB disk1s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data Windows 279.1 GB disk1s3

for diskutil cs list I got

diskutil cs list

diskutil: did not recognize verb "cs"; type "diskutil" for a list

Apr 27, 2015 1:20 PM in response to dave Ballard1

Is your Windows disk in the same bay where the original Windows installation was attempted?

If this is a new installation of Windows, do you want to consider re-installation via BCA from scratch? What is the current version of BC Assistant and OSX?

From System requirements to install Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp - Apple Support, you can only install W7 32-bit. Can you verify if that is what you are attempting to install?

Windows 7 will not boot after installation on mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.