Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook battery removal

2007 macbook.

How do you remove the battery? I turned the lock and expected it to fall out. NOPE. SO, i put it in the freezer for a half hour. Nope.

ideas??

MacBook Intel 2 core Duo 2GH, Work:G4 FW800, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:19 AM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Lanny

Well, here's why: Batteries expand when the chemical processes inside them cause reaction that produce pressure. The battery in a Macbook fits like a glove. Any expansion can cause the fit to decrease the space. Cold helps materials to contract. I figure, the answer to my question is not how to turn the lock 90° (Note: I stated I had done that already.)

The answer might be how to pry out the battery without wrecking the whole computer. Any assistance along those lines is appreciated.

Apr 26, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Brian Schreiber

The battery in a Macbook fits like a glove. Any expansion can cause the fit to decrease the space.

Fine in theory, but both the battery and the MacBook enclosure will shrink. So, unless you can cool just the battery, and not the rest of the Mac, it's not feasible.

Once you have the lock in the unlocked position, position the macbook on your desk or table so that the corner with the battery overhangs the edge of the table, then tap the top corner of your MacBook with your knuckles and let gravity do the work.

Or, get something with a suction cup and attach it to the back bottom of the battery and pull on it.

Apr 26, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Lanny

Well, I got the battery out by using a screwdriver and letter opener. It appears that what prevented it from coming out is the spring that normally pops out the battery was positioned behind the pin it is normally pressed against. So, the pin acted like a trap holding the spring and the battery. I pried on that end and was lucky enough to push the battery away from the pin so it could fall out.

That being said, I did a SMC reset (as advised in another thread to reset my PRAM, my original problem. . .) and the SMC reset protocol failed to allow PRAM reset also. Likewise, I found that using S and trying to reboot in safe mode does not work. SOMETHING is stopping these normal startup protocols from saving this Mac.

By the way, different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion. The battery made of an aluminum case and lots of chemicals likely has a different coefficient than the styrene case of the Mac. Also, it will take longer for its mass to reach a temperature change than the thinner plastic. The idea is to change the temp while using the relative COE and rates of heat transfer of two objects to your advantage. Trying different temps using the leverage provided by COE and thermal inertia is a COMMON method for troubleshooting parts not fitting. Farmers, engineers, scientists, and machinists use this a lot.

macbook battery removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.