Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple sets of time machine backups on the same drive

I want to know if I can have multiple sets of time machine backup files on the same external drive.

My wife's MacBook Pro had become terribly bogged down with all sorts of junk. So, I recently wiped my wife's hard drive (using Disk Utility Erase), reinstalled the OS, and reinstalled only those components that she still uses. HUGE improvement in performance! Before I wiped her drive, I backed everything up to time machine.

Now that she has a reinitialized and cleaned up hard drive, I want to begin a NEW set of time machine backups without losing the backups of the old set. However, the computer has the same name as before ("Jane Smith's Computer"). I don't want Time Machine to overwrite her backup file with a new one of the same name. I tried this several years ago and I lost all the old backups.

My question is, can I "map" her Time Machine backups to a unique folder that will be used in the future?

For example, her old backup files are here:

Time Machine Backups > Backups.backupdb > Jane Smith's Computer

I'd like to backup from now on to this folder:

Time Machine Backups > Backups.backupdb > Jane Smith's Computer after 4/25/15

(I wish I could just rename her old backup folder, but Time Machine won't let me rename the folder.)

Does anybody know if this is possible? Bottom line: I don't want to lose her old backup files when I hook up her "new and improved" hard drive to Time Machine backups.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:43 AM

There are no replies.

Multiple sets of time machine backups on the same drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.