Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone tell me the function keys to use in order to restart a Macbook Pro when the screen will not come on? The power light is lit, but the screen does not come up.

Can someone tell me the Function keys to use in order to get a Mac Book Pro Screen to light up. The power light comes on but the screen does not. This happened to me when I first bought it and the Geek Squad found an answer on line to use certain function keys. I just can not remember which ones! Please help!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:50 PM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2015 1:35 PM in response to schmidtmimi

Hi....!!

Try to do a Reboot...

Shutdown your Mac completely. Then press the power button and immediately press the option / alt key for few seconds until you are presented with a white screen with different hard disks to choose.

Please select the Macintosh HD (Or else your personal named HD) and boot into OS X. Then login into OS X. Then go in system preferences and select Startup Disk and select the Macintosh HD (or else your personal names HD) and press Restart. See if this resolves the issue.

If that doesn’t help then go in recovery mode by pressing cmd + R and select disk utility to repair the startup disk. If that fails then you should assume that your disk is failing and you should take it for a repair.

Hope this helps.

Can anyone tell me the function keys to use in order to restart a Macbook Pro when the screen will not come on? The power light is lit, but the screen does not come up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.