Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Scholar will not save settings

Hello all! Somehow, Google Scholar recently lost all my settings, including the library access links. I tried to add them back, but they would not save. I tried clearing history and website data, but that did not help. I also cannot add them using Firefox. When I attempted to add them, I was signed into both my Google account and my university's library site. Has anyone experienced similar problems recently? I cannot seem to save any Google Scholar settings whatsoever, despite having Safari (and Firefox) set to accept all cookies. Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:30 PM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2015 3:38 PM in response to DrPuppet

Hi James. I'm having the same problem, which I've only noticed in the last couple of days.

The problem occurs in Firefox, Safari and Chrome. I've flushed my cache, enabled cookies, refreshed Firefox, installed the latest browser versions all without effect - I guess it's a problem with Google Scholar as browser settings don't seem to affect it.

I have no 3rd party security software on my computer - firewall is not blocking cookies - indeed the browsers show they have downloaded cookies from scholar.google.com.au, but Google Scholar will not retain any settings (e.g. library links, citation download preferences).

Any insights will be greatly appreciated!

Apr 27, 2015 5:03 PM in response to raphael50

Good idea to check the firewall . . . I thought the same thing yesterday. I contacted my university library, and even they have no clue! They noted that the same thing was happening on their Mac (singular, running 10.7, so who knows how much use it gets), but that their PCs were working fine. So, it seems to be not browser-specific, but Mac-specific, at least. Other than that, I have discovered no new insights! I posted on the Google Search Help Forum (which, judging from other posts there, will probably not get any responses at all), and used their "Feedback" form, which seemed to be the closest thing to "support." I am hoping the library staff will uncover something.

Apr 28, 2015 4:56 PM in response to DrPuppet

Hi James,

My Scholar has decided to start working again. I'm not sure if it's something I did, or Google has just fixed a bug, but I did do the following:

Delete Google Drive from my computer and restart

Update flash player and Java to the latest versions

Update all browsers to the latest version

I'd be interested to see if any of this works for you.

Good luck,

Google Scholar will not save settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.