Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Im confused, what happened? (disk utility, erase, wipe)

I have a 15 inch mid 2012 macbook pro that was running Yosemite. I wanted to wipe everything and do a clean install. I went to disc utility (command R at start up) and when I attempted to erase my disk it said it was locked and I couldn't. I restarted it again and it wasn't locked it just couldn't unmount. I fiddled around with it a little bit more and eventually realized my HDD said there was only 2 files on it and I basically had full memory. It wouldn't go back to its previous state and I ended up having to do an internet recovery. It reinstalled lion and that's what I currently on. There doesn't seem to be a trace of any of my previous file which I had over 200gbs. I find it hard to believe it erase everything in a matter of SECONDS hardly even noticeable. Anybody know what might of happened or if I can find any evidence? Really Strange.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 11:07 AM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2015 11:14 AM in response to DIRTYYYY

The fresh installation of OS X erases all the content of the drive. And, yes, that happens in a second or two. Your files may still be on the drive, but the directory was re-done so you have not way to find them unless you try using file recovery software:

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as MAC Data Recovery, Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads. Recovery software usually provide trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

Im confused, what happened? (disk utility, erase, wipe)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.