Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After iOS 8.3 update, apps stuck on OPEN on App Store Updates page

Did the iOS 8.3 update by backing up my iPad Mini in iTunes then doing a "Restore". I did that with the last update and all went fine. This time, it appears to have gone well except that I had some apps that had updates pending after the Restore. After doing the updates, when I go to the App Store "Updates" page, I still have 4 of my apps listed there with the button option set to OPEN. On the upper right corner it says "Updated August 18, 2015". Yesterday when I did the update was Saturday April 25, 2015 - go figure. When I tap them they all open but they never leave the page. One post said to wait until an app had a valid update pending and see what happens after I update it, so I'll need to wait to see if that works. I have searched this community and tried all suggestions: changed the date set to manual and push it out over 30 days. That did not work. Did a reset. No luck. I even did another "Restore" thinking maybe that would resolve it, but they came right back. The puzzling thing is that in all of my searching, I have found apps stuck in differing states of "waiting" or "downloading", but none of them have mentioned seeing the apps with the OPEN option visible. I did delete the apps and that made them go away, but I'd prefer to keep them. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance...slog

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:10 PM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2015 12:14 PM in response to slog

If it has NEVER been jailbroke, here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, read this.

Apr 26, 2015 12:30 PM in response to Philly_Phan

I've tried all of the suggestions you listed with the exception of "Erase". I would think that doing that would be the same as doing a Restore from backup. My understanding of a Restore is that it essentially wipes the device and prepares it to be restored, but I'll read up some more on that and maybe give it a try. Thanks very much for your quick reply and suggestions. I appreciate it!

Apr 27, 2015 3:23 PM in response to slog

Okay so I had this scenario today (from my original post:) "One post said to wait until an app had a valid update pending and see what happens after I update it, so I'll need to wait to see if that works." I tapped "Update All". The one app that had an update was updated. I went to "Settings" and moved the date out over 30 days, and that one app that updated disappeared. The other 4 original culprits are still there. This is very puzzling.

Apr 28, 2015 7:17 PM in response to slog

Okay, so my issue somehow has resolved itself. I left it for 24 hours and when I just checked it, the App Store update page had 4 new updates and the date had changed from "Updated August 18, 2015" to "Updated April 28, 2015". I tapped "Update All" and when done I went to Settings and advanced the date to more than 30 days out. When I went back to the App Store updates page they all disappeared. Totally doesn't make sense, but that's fine, as long as it's working normally. Hope this will help if anyone else has a similar issue....slog

After iOS 8.3 update, apps stuck on OPEN on App Store Updates page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.