Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro Retina doesn't see internal SSD drive

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my Macbook Pro Retina 13(late 2012). Few days ago I've done clean install of Yosemite. Everything worked fine, and I wanted to restore my files using Time Machine. So I restarted it (command +R), plugged in my extertal hard drive, turned on TM restore option and chose my SSD drive as a place to install. Mac asked me to enter password for the SSD (default filevault2 in yosemite), I entered the password, system accepted it and then something went wrong. System told me to restart mac and try again. I restarted it, and did like previous but this time, my mac stopped to see his internal SSD drive. System was asking where to install yosemite form Time Machine and there were no drive to choose. I turned on disc utility, and I see my SSD drive there but I can't erase it, or unlock (picture in appendage). I can only verify disc and it shows that drive is fine. I've tried to install Yosemite on my external drive and boot from there,to unlock SSD in settings (I've chose my Ex. drive as a place to install Yosemite) but it didn't work. After install on my ex. drive I couldn't boot from him (using option key during system start). I even tried internet recovery (command+option+R) but I didn't help, SSD drive was still useless.

I think my SSD is still locked, but I don't know how to unlock it now. I don't need to use Time Machine anymore (I have my files in other drive too). It can be clean install but please, can somebody tell me what to do?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:40 PM

15 replies

Nov 10, 2017 5:40 PM in response to Community User

Not sure if you found a solution to your problem but I have had the same problem. I made a complete f**k up by deleting the recovery drive and then suddenly I couldn’t find my drive when wanting to reinstall macOS.

The solution I found was to use terminal. When using “diskutil info”, the drive still existed. So I created a partition in the drive with the following command:

diskutil partitionDisk disk1 GPT APFS MacOS HD 100%

Find more info here: http://www.applegazette.com/mac/pro-terminal-commands-using-diskutil/

I used GPT because this would be my main MacOS boot drive. I also used APFS as I was installing High Sierra. Lastly, I partition 100% of my drive. You can specify this yourself if you want a different percent.

With the above, you’ll fix your problem and it will reappear in Disk Utility.

Cheers!

Apr 26, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Community User

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Apr 26, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Kappy

I wish I could do that, but I can't erease it. There is no option like that. Please look closely on my screenshots

Apr 26, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Kappy

Here You go:

User uploaded file

I wish I could do direct screenshot but I can't do It when I don't have operating system on my mac

Apr 26, 2015 2:04 PM in response to Community User

OK, now comes the hard part:

At the prompt enter the following:

diskutil cs createVolume "Macintosh HD" HFS+ Test 100%

Press RETURN.

If there is no error when the prompt returns then reboot the computer from the Recovery HD and open Disk Utility. Verify that you now have a volume named Test under the out-dented entry named Macintosh HD. If you do, then proceed as follows:

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (Test) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window. (If you wish, you

can rename Test to Macintosh HD.)

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Apr 26, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Kappy

Maybe I should now restart, hold option key and do internet recovery? I think its the only way now but I'm waiting for Your opinion Kappy

Apr 26, 2015 9:50 PM in response to Kappy

I pressed Command+R but instead of recovery HD it started internet recovery anyway. But it doesn't matter because the drive was finally unlocked so it worked! I already installed OS X Snow Leopard and now I'm updating to Yosemite. I was lucky You found my post, that was not easy case. Thanks for Your help!

May 16, 2015 1:57 AM in response to Community User

hey Dziagv and Kappy

this thread is just way toooo **** good. thanks alot Kappy and Dziagv, you have done things not even my country authorized apple service center people could not do. HATS OFF! to you guys, they told me they will have to replace the ssd, my macbook pro retina 15 is 11,000 Malaysian currency i bought it 2 years ago. now its out of warranty. they were going to charge me 4.5k malaysian currency to replace the SSD almost half of the actual price, that's like owning a private aeroplane where maintenance is more then the actual price, they told me that this is what the apple experts have said from apple HQ most probably in Singapore. i went straight away to the service center demanded that i be handed over my faulty macbook (i can buy a nice high spec windows laptop with the 4.5k malaysian currency) and in my mind i had decided that this is going to end of my Apple era! If you guys do want,? i can upload that ridiculous quotation they sent me.

thank you soo much you guys

Dr kumar

My Macbook Pro Retina doesn't see internal SSD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.