Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 keyboard problem

SInce updating to iOS 8.3 the keyboard covers the area where I am trying to type. I cannot see the text being entered without closing the keyboard. This makes it impossible to correct a typo, and makes it very difficult to write text messages or comments on social websites. Has anyone had this problem, and is there a way to fix it?

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 1:01 PM

Is this with the keyboard half-way up the screen ? If it is then you move it down to the bottom of the screen by pressing-and-holding the 'keyboard' key bottom right of the keyboard and on the popup sliding your finger up to 'Dock' (or you can tap and hold the keyboard key and drag the keyboard up/down the screen)

If you don't mean that's half-way up the screen then have you tried a soft-reset ? Press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2015 1:01 PM in response to JuliBoc

Is this with the keyboard half-way up the screen ? If it is then you move it down to the bottom of the screen by pressing-and-holding the 'keyboard' key bottom right of the keyboard and on the popup sliding your finger up to 'Dock' (or you can tap and hold the keyboard key and drag the keyboard up/down the screen)

If you don't mean that's half-way up the screen then have you tried a soft-reset ? Press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

Apr 27, 2015 7:19 PM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you for your response.

I tried a soft boot before I posted this problem. It did not help.

Let me explain further. If I am trying to correct some text I am typing that is near the bottom of a page, the text is covered by the keyboard. I can dock the keyboard and see what was typed, but when I try to place the cursor in a certain location to correct a typo, the keyboard pops up as soon as I touch the screen. It covers the text, making it impossible for me to see where the cursor is or to adjust the location of the cursor.

In the past (before upgrading to iOS 8.3), the keyboard would push the text up to the top half of the screen, so I could always see what I was typing, and correct it if necessary.

Also, I tried your technique of moving the keyboard, but I couldn't make that work. If I tap the keyboard button, the keyboard docks. If I tap an hold the button, I get a drop down list to Dock or Split. I couldn't find a way to drag the keyboard.

Apr 29, 2015 9:09 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks, King_Penguin, I got that to work. if I just tap the keyboard key the keyboard docks, but I was able to hold the keyboard key and drag the the keyboard. When I do that, the keyboard splits, which may also be helpful.

I'm still surprised that the keyboard function changed so radically, and confused as to why it is so much more difficult to use.

iOS 8.3 keyboard problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.