Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anybody else had issues with force touch not working in all the ways intended? For example I cannot get force click to bring up a quick look preview when clicking on file icons?!

Has anybody else had issues with force touch not working in all the ways intended? For example I cannot get force click to bring up a quick look preview when clicking on file icons?!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 10:55 PM

I've had the same problem as the topic starter. I managed to get it working with the following procedure:

1. Go to System Preferences → Trackpad → Point & Click
  2. Disable “Force Click and haptic feedback”
  3. Reboot the computer (might be enough to relaunch Finder)
  4. Go back into preferences and enable “Force Click and haptic feedback” again

After doing tihs, the "preview" thing works in Finder.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2016 10:55 PM in response to mevans133

I've had the same problem as the topic starter. I managed to get it working with the following procedure:

1. Go to System Preferences → Trackpad → Point & Click
  2. Disable “Force Click and haptic feedback”
  3. Reboot the computer (might be enough to relaunch Finder)
  4. Go back into preferences and enable “Force Click and haptic feedback” again

After doing tihs, the "preview" thing works in Finder.

Apr 26, 2015 12:32 PM in response to mevans133

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Oct 11, 2015 9:47 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

I should qualify. I can get it to do a few things—mainly curiosities like zooming faster if I'm in the Apple maps app. Or the Quicktime fast forward thing. I think I might use those apps three times a year.

And sometimes the dictionary or address recognition thing works. Sometimes. I'm not sure that I've ever gotten a Safari link preview or file preview to work. Like ever. Altogether I've probably spent at least 5 minutes of my life trying to click different files and make it work. I also probably gave a lot of traffic to click bait sites trying to preview links that just opened in a new tab anyway.

But the point is that even if it worked 50% of the time it would be easier for me to just hit command-Y. At least then I know it will happen. So effectively the feature is dead for me. I think in the last three months I might have used it once in a productive way. Otherwise it was more like "oh cool... I can zoom faster on Apple maps." Then he closes it and gets back work.

Mar 1, 2016 11:12 AM in response to mevans133

No, same for me, Force Touch doesn't work at all. Absolutely nothing, preview in Finder aso..

All advices given here (thanks for them) doesn't solve my issue.

MBPro 13" Retina late 2013 / 10.11.4 beta 4 with magic trackpad 2, base commands are ok but no Force Touch although indicated configuration was correct. Couldn't test with 10.11.2 or 3 because I hadn't this Trackpad 2 at this time.

NB : fine thing is when connecting Trackpad 2, integrated trackpad from MBP is deactivated and the related menu in Preferences is showing up.. well done Apple. But then..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.