Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

juice spilled on iphone 5s

So there were playing cards under my iPhone and a cup of juice next to the phone. Juice splashed my iPhone (glad I was using a big rubber case but not protecting the front) and it was all wet. I knew there was no time to panic so in like 10 seconds I was able to turn off the phone and wipe it off. I used my mouth to suck out the juice from the earpiece, but there was nothing. Removed the SIM card and it was bone-dry. Found some rice and put the phone in it. It's been almost 30 hours from it staying in the rice. Thought of using the hairdryer, but I read that it was not good. Some people said I had to wash it off in water, but I think that's not a good idea, because the juice was not so much on the iPhone, rather than the playing cards.

Please, help. I don't know what to do and I'm in panic now. I am thinking of trying to turn it back on when it's been 36h in rice, but I'm afraid if it's wet it may short something.

Thanks 🙂

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 1:52 PM

Let it dry for several days to a week, then turn it on and see if it works.

7 replies

Apr 26, 2015 5:27 PM in response to kehatoc

kehatoc wrote:

I don't really think juice got into the internal components, but the closest repair place is 300km from here. Can corroding be fixed with isophrophyl alcohol ?

The phone is not user serviceable. If you attempt to repair it yourself or have an unauthorized service shop repair it, you will forfeit the right to both warranty and out of warranty service from Apple.

If you are unwilling or unable to take it to an authorized shop, and the phone works after all of the suggestions above, be prepared for the phone to eventually fail in the future. But then again, it might not. You will not know the extent of the damage (if any) unless you have it evaluated by an authorized party.

juice spilled on iphone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.