Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2007 No Power to Hard Drives

While changing hard drives in my Mac Pro 2007 (model 2,1) today, I apparently shorted something out and there is no longer power being provided to any of the hard drives or the super drive. On first boot attempt, the fans went into over drive and I smelled something burning, so I quickly turned it off and reinstalled the original drive.

I am able to boot up off a Yosemite installer USB flash drive and run Disk Utility - confirmed that none of the disks are visible. Everything else on the computer seems to be running fine.

Does this sound like a power supply issue or I have a fried something on the main logic board?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ryan

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 1:11 PM

13 replies

Apr 27, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Ryan Nowlin

Do you have a graphics card that only uses power from the PCle slot or one the also uses power from PCle connectors on the logic board?

Does the DVD drive work? I think that uses 12 volts. 3 1/2 inch HDs uses 12 volts as well as 5 volts while USB onlyuses 5 volts. Thus maybe the 12 volt output of the power supply is bad or the is a problem with only the 12 volts to the HD connectors. Or it could be problem with the 5 volts suppy to the HD.

Are yo using a 2 1/2 inch drive? in a sled? I ask since those only use 5 volts.

This

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/Mac_Pro/Bluetooth_MacPro_install/Bluetooth_Ma cPro_install.html

discusses

Note the connector for the antenna is located on the backside (right) possibly causing the lead to ground out on the logic board should it become loose. It will work but I was not comfortable with the fact the lead could short the logic board. A costly replacement.

Apr 27, 2015 8:11 AM in response to lllaass

My graphics card is the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and it is driving 3 monitors. It uses 1 additional power connector from the board.

DVD drive is not working either.

All the HDDs are standard 3.5" 7200 rpm SATA drives.

I did install the Bluetooth adapter just as you described, but didn't have a screw to hold the BT card to the board so I removed it. The wires were just hanging loose, thus the reason I suspected this might have been the culprit.

Tempted to try just replacing the power supply and seeing if that does the trick or not. Not sure if Apple would still repair this old of a model if I were to take it into a store.

Apr 28, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Ryan Nowlin

With power on, take your multi-meter and read the Voltages at any 4-pin Molex connector, in use or not. You can push the probe in either the front or the back of the connector to make contact with the wires.

You should find the measurement between the grounds and the colored wires producing a bit over 5 Volts on one, and a bit over 12 Volts on the other. If the 5 Volts is missing or bad, I expect nothing will run. If the 12 Volts is missing or bad, I expect you have a power problem (power supply or power cabling).

Apr 28, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Disk drive connector (AMP MATE-N-LOK 1-480424-0 Power Connector)

User uploaded file
AMP MATE-N-LOK 1-480424-0 Power connector (female pins)
Type Electrical power connector
Production history
Manufacturer AMP
Produced 1963
General specifications
Width 21 mm (female), 23 mm (male)
Height 6 mm (female), 8 mm (male)
Pins 4
Electrical
Signal Yes
Max. voltage 12 V
Max. current 11 A/pin (30 °C rise)
Pin out
User uploaded file
Male Pins (Female Connector)
Pin Color Type
Pin 1 Yellow +12 V
Pin 2 Black Ground
Pin 3 Black Ground
Pin 4 Red +5 V
18 AWG wire is typically used.

The desktop computer hard-drive connector is pictured here. It has 4 conductors, with the standard pinout as follows:

Pin # Color Function
1 Yellow +12 V
2 Black Ground
3 Black Ground
4 Red +5 V

SOURCE:

images and text from wikipedia.org

Apr 28, 2015 8:53 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

SInce the OP is using the PCle 6-pin connector to power the graphics card that would indicate that the 12 power supply is OK would it not?

Yes. If that card is working properly under load, it is very likely that the 12 Volt supplies are fine.

An important classical debugging procedure has you:

1) remove EVERYTHING that could be dragging down power. Start with the motherboard and minimal RAM, looking to get the chime.

2) add the keyboard and mouse.

3) add the graphics card and look for blinking question mark.

4) add a SINGLE boot device. In this case, where EVERYTHING is suspect, try a Hard Drive with the add-on DVD drive disconnected ¿maybe that adapter died?

5) continue building your Mac back a part at a time.

Mac Pro 2007 No Power to Hard Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.