Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get audio with video via AppleTV, except from iTunes

Despite following apple's support page re audio issues with AppleTV, I cannot get audio when I stream video from my computer to a monitor screen in another room via AppleTV. I can get audio with video when I use my AppleTV to access iTunes, so I know my AppleTV box, HDMI lead and Monitor speakers are all OK. Can anyone please advise? Thanks.

AppleTV 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 4:10 PM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Wilburwosp

Hello Wilburwosp,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

As I understand your post, you are seeing a display using your Apple TV, but not the audio. What computer are you using for AirPlay? Below are the requirements for using AirPlay with your Apple TV.

Requirements for using an AirPlay display

Minimum requirements if your Mac and Apple TV are on the same network:

Use AirPlay to see your Mac screen on an HDTV - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

Apr 29, 2015 3:24 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks for your reply Alex however I have an almost brand new Mini, OS10.10, and a second-gen AppleTV. So I have all the requirements.

I have tried using a separate Airplay speaker but when I adjust the sound settings on the Mini to use Airplay speakers, it cuts off the AppleTV video. And when I re-impose the AppleTV, it cuts off the Airplay speaker.... very frustrating.

Might it be one of those make-you-use-Apple ploys, whereby it will only work for videos in Apple's native format? I cannot play the videos on Apples own video-player software because they are not Apple-format, so I am playing them through VLC instead. But that doesn't seem to block either the Airplay sound or the Apple TV video, so I can't see why I can't have them both working together, or indeed why I'm not simply getting the sound fed with the video by AppleTV...

May 5, 2015 2:09 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks Alex. Whilst what you say helps me to understand why one of my attempts to get round the problem failed, it hasn't solved the original problem - which is that I can't get sound with video when I send video from my computer to my AppleTV. And whilst it may not be do-able to send video from a computer to an Apple TV and the associated soundtrack from the computer to an Airplay device, it is possible (according to the AppleTV instructions) to send video to an AppleTV and then forward the audio from the AppleTV box to an Airplay device. Any further thoughts?

Cannot get audio with video via AppleTV, except from iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.