Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition For Mac

I had deleted my windows partition and am trying to resize my mac partition from 256 gb (around) to 500 gb, in recovery mode and every time I get a could not unmount disk error.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 3:55 PM

2 replies

Apr 29, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Mason_K

Hello Mason_K,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

In order to resize your Macintosh HD partition, you will need to boot into OS X Recovery, and access Disk Utility. There you will be able to resize your Macintosh HD partition. In the future if you decide to use Boot Camp and then want to remove Windows, you should use Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition, that way your disk will be restored to a single partition automatically.

OS X: About OS XRecovery - Apple Support

1. Select the disk that contains the partition you want to enlarge, and then click Partition.
  2. In the Volume Scheme list, select the partition beneath the partition you want to enlarge, and then click Delete (-).

The partition is immediately erased, leaving the space it formerly occupied available.

3. Resize the partition.

You can drag the divider at the bottom of the partition in the Volume Scheme list, or you can select the partition and then enter a value in the Size field.

4. If the enlarged partition doesn’t use all the space from the deleted partition, you can create new partitions in the unused space.

To create a new partition, click Add (+), select the new partition, and choose its name, format, and size.

5. Click Apply.

Disk Utility enlarges the partition and creates any new partitions.

Disk Utility 12.x: Partition a disk

OS X Mountain Lion: Remove Windows from your computer

Have a good one,

Alex H.

Partition For Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.