Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spell check not working

Have a brand new MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display and Spell Check in Pages does not work. I have ran all available software updates and the problem persists.

Edit \ Spelling and Grammar \ Check Document New (this function does not work)

Edit \ Spelling and Grammar \ Check Spelling While Typing (this does work)

I like to turn-off the check spelling while I write because I don't want to be slowed down by misspellings. I prefer to check the spelling in the document periodically.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the computer I think it's a glitch in the Pages program. The advertisements for Pages focus on how it's like a mini desk-top publishing program but if I wanted or needed a desk-top publishing program I would buy one. I just need a good word processor and if Pages can't manage to check spelling then it's no good. Writing is the most important thing I do on my computer and I am frustrated that I just spent over $1,500 when I could have bought a PC laptop with Word for a fraction of the price and not had this problem. I do not want to spend my time trying to troubleshoot this issue. I will probably spend more money and buy Microsoft Word for Mac and then in a few years, when it's time to buy a new computer go back to a PC. There is no reason to waste money on a high-priced computer that can't manage to have a properly functioning spell check.

Also Word has a better navigation pane that allows you to see your document headers and clicking on the header go directly to that section. Using this function in Word helps when working with large documents.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Pages spell check not working

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 5:08 PM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2015 7:55 PM in response to writer2

Neither Check Document Now, nor Show Spelling and Grammar will function without first enabling Check Spelling While Typing. That is the story with Pages v5, other than it is a poorly designed bane to word processing. Most of the complaints about Pages v5 are that it lacks this or that feature in Word — of which it was never intended to clone. There is nothing to prevent you from disabling spelling while you write, and then select a block of text to scan, when you re-enable the spelling while you type menu item.

The operating system, and the underlying hardware, regardless of price, or platform preference have nothing to do with spelling and grammar check. A properly designed word processing application will have strong spelling and grammar capabilities inherent to its features. There are plenty of word processing applications for Mac, and it is up to you to trial several until you find the one with features that best supports your writing behavior.

You might decide to place more emphasis on writing, and less intrusive application clutter — offered by Ullysses. Or Mellel that offers facing page capability, and many other strengths. You may decide on Word in Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.4.9, Word in the Office for Mac 2015 Preview, or some other tool that gets the job done for you. Writing is personal, and so should the capabilities of the tools that you exercise, match your need.

spell check not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.