Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture resolution setting screwed up

Running Mavericks 10.9.5 on an iMac 27" with 3.6 GHz Core i5.

All of the sudden while scanning with Image Capture, the pull down menu for setting the resolution is screwed up. It flicker and scrolls through all the potential values from 50 to 12,800 but won't let me pick any value.

The scanner is an Epson 2450 and I attached it to another computer and it works just fine using Image Capture there.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Image Capture or the Epson driver, but something got corrupted.

Any ideas?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 4:39 PM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Matt Knowles

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Image_Capture.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Aug 19, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, perhaps you can help me as well.

I just noticed that when I plug my iPhone 6+ into my iMac OX 10.9.4 and use Image Capture 6.3 to simply pull photos from my phone onto a folder on my iMac that the photos lose resolution. The photos are 72 DPI whereas when I transfer a photo directly from my phone, via an app from the App Store to a third party, the photo they receive is 300 DPI. This leads me to assume Image Capture is compressing my image which is very upsetting. I see no options within Image Capture to change resolution/download settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm especially annoyed because I want to submit my iPhone photos to a stock agency and now I'll have to upres the 72 DPI files to be the 300 DPI that they were before they left my phone as I don't keep photos on my phone after I download them to my desktop computer.

Image Capture resolution setting screwed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.