Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 1,1 Yosemite

Hey everyone!

I am trying to update my MacPro1,1 to Yosemite and was following instructions provided here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740775

It has not been successful, everytime I try to boot from the USB installer, or from the hard drive with Yosemite already installed, I get a black screen after start up tone and that is all. I upgraded a while back to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card, could this be the issue?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Server, Mac Pro 1.1 Intel Dual Core Xenon

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:11 PM

14 replies

Apr 27, 2015 2:07 PM in response to Timothy Cole

The hatter --

That is the forum / how to that I was following. The issue I think I am having is with the Graphics Card and not so much which version of OS X I'm trying to run. I put an old install disk in for OS X 10.5.4 and held down the C key to boot of the DVD, but still get just the black screen and nothing else after the startup chime.

Of note, before I started messing around, I have OS X 10.7 (I think) Installed and when I started up, I would get the startup chime and then a black screen until it got to the login screen at which point everything was normal. So just no grey screen with the Apple, which was attributed to the upgrade to the GeForce GTX 550 Ti being a PC card that I installed.

Any thoughts?

Apr 27, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Timothy Cole

What graphics card is now installed/was instal when you booted fro the 10.5.4 disk??

The ones that came with the Mac Pro 1.1/1.2 do not support higher that Lion.

Most PC (not flashed for Mac) Nvidia cards will work

1) What OS versions will work?

In order to boot with an NVIDIA PC card, you need to have:

• 10.7.4 with the 270.00.00f06 driver installed
  • 10.8 and beyond

That is, all versions from 10.7.5 and beyond (including 10.8.*, 10.9.* and 10.10.*) will work with NVIDIA PC cards out-of-the-box.

Note that the Fermi generation cards work with Lion, but in almost all cases the Kepler cards require Mountain Lion. You may find a GK107-based card that boots in 10.7.5, but it is highly recommended that you use Mountain Lion since there appears to be much better driver support in that OS in general.

To be clear, the stock Apple drivers now contain basic support for all currently-shipping cards. This means that you no longer have to swap out the card when doing a Software Update to the next OS version. In all cases, it is recommended that you update to the corresponding NVIDIA web driver, as those drivers tend to have more bug fixes and/or performance improvements than the stock Apple drivers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1440150

May 2, 2015 4:23 PM in response to lllaass

An update.... I did a clean install of Lion and updated to 10.7.5 with the NVIDIA drivers and I still don't get a grey boot screen, just a black screen until I get to the login window. Also for some reason the graphics seem to be freezing with sleep... ? Maybe time to bite the bullet and upgrade the machine. Was hoping I might be able to hack Yosemite onto it and save some money but its been more hassle than its worth at this point.

MacPro 1,1 Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.