Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVDs not playing after update

Hello,

I recently updated to OS 10.10.3 and now drive doesn't recognize DVDs anymore. It tries to wind up but fails each time, sometimes afterwards I'll hear the disc spinning inside. Is the drive finished or is it the update? I have a macbook pro 2.5 gh intel-pro from 2012.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 6:41 PM

1 reply

Apr 29, 2015 2:27 PM in response to ethnotime

Hello ethnotime,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

In order to help resolve this issue where discs are not being recognized by your Mac, I'd like you to please follow the instructions below for the specific issue your Mac is having.

Accepts discs but they don't mount or are automatically ejected

1. Make sure the drive is not placed upside down. The aluminum enclosure should be facing up as shown in section 1.
  2. Check the disc's surface for scratches and dirt, since these things can prevent the disc from appearing on the desktop.
  3. Connect the MacBook Air SuperDrive directly to the computer's USB port instead a USB hub.
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC).
  5. Ensure your drive can read the specific type of disc being used. The System Profiler or System Information may provide additional information regarding what media your computer supports.
    • OS X Snow Leopard v10.6 or earlier: Open Apple System Profiler by choosing "About this Mac" from the Apple () menu. Then, click More Info.
    • OS X Lion v10.7 and later: Click the Apple () menu and then hold down the Option key. Choose System Information from the menu.
  6. If the disc continues to not be recognized, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or make an appointment with an Apple Retail Store.

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

DVDs not playing after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.