Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the dimensions of the Apple Watch magnetic charger? Is the thickness the same for both the Watch Sport and Watch chargers?

I'm interested in the dimensions of the magnetic charger for both the Watch Sport and Watch. There are a number of third party charger stands out now and was wondering if a charger stand needs to be specific for the Sport or Watch or if any stand will fit accommodate both models.

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 8:01 AM

I have now answered my own question. I purchased an extra magnetic charger from the Apple store. It is a full metal charger identical to what comes with the Apple Watch, not the Sport. The Sport comes with a white, plastic covered magnetic charger, not full metal.

The dimensions for the metal charger that comes with the Watch: 2.08" (52.83 mm) diameter and 0.25" (6.35 mm) thickness.

The dimensions for the plastic covered charger that comes with the Sport: 2.08" (52.83 mm) diameter and 0.30" (7.62 mm) thickness.

So there is a minor difference in thickness. Maybe not enough for the third party watch stand suppliers to worry about but I will. ;-)

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 8:01 AM in response to nick101

I have now answered my own question. I purchased an extra magnetic charger from the Apple store. It is a full metal charger identical to what comes with the Apple Watch, not the Sport. The Sport comes with a white, plastic covered magnetic charger, not full metal.

The dimensions for the metal charger that comes with the Watch: 2.08" (52.83 mm) diameter and 0.25" (6.35 mm) thickness.

The dimensions for the plastic covered charger that comes with the Sport: 2.08" (52.83 mm) diameter and 0.30" (7.62 mm) thickness.

So there is a minor difference in thickness. Maybe not enough for the third party watch stand suppliers to worry about but I will. ;-)

Apr 26, 2015 6:28 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

This was my understanding as well. Of course, I found a post in another Apple Watch forum that says they are different. No guarantees this is accurate. I do know that the magnetic charger that comes with the Sport is all white plastic while the charger that comes with the Watch is all metal. Just enough to make me wonder.

Apr 27, 2015 10:56 AM in response to nick101

Just for clarification, the white shown on the US Apple store charger is only a protective coating on the magnetic side so the charger doesn't scratch the watch. The remainder of the charger is polished metal. The Sport charger is entirely white, with no metal showing. The point is the magnetic charger ordered from the Apple store has a different thickness measurement from the magnetic charger that comes with the Watch Sport. This is only an issue for any aftermarket charging stand that expects chargers from both the Apple Watch and the Sport Watch to fit flush with the face of their stand. Only one or the other can fit flush. An option would be to manufacture for the thicker Sport Watch and include a 0.1" spacer for the Watch. This would allow either to fit flush with a stand face.

I'm done.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

What are the dimensions of the Apple Watch magnetic charger? Is the thickness the same for both the Watch Sport and Watch chargers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.