Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto from external hard drive won't open on another macbook

My iphoto wont open from my external hard drive on my other MacBook. It says: The photo library will need to be upgraded to work with this version of iphoto. Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iphoto after the upgrade.

1) Why do I need to upgrade?

2) Will I still be able to open this external HD on my old macbook?

When I click upgrade it says: there is a problem accessing one or more files in your iphoto library. Do you want iphoto to repair permissions for this library for you?

3) What does this mean?

4)Can I open this external hard drive iphoto library on a Dell laptop or will it always have to be on a Mac?

Thank you for your help!

MacBook (13-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:37 PM

1 reply

Apr 26, 2015 9:34 PM in response to alishajoann

You do not give enough information to give a total answer - but basically it sounds like you have two Macs with different version of iPhoto - newer version of iphoto have to upgrade the iPhoto library to use it and once they do older versions can not use it - that is the meaning of the warning

The photo library will need to be upgraded to work with this version of iphoto. Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iphoto after the upgrade.

Pretty clearly stated by the warning

so

1 - because you probably have a newer version of iPhoto on your "other MacBook"

2 - Probably not

3 - you have a permissions problem that needs to be repaired - often this is caused by having the iPhoto library on an improperly formatted drive - the iPhoto library must always be on a volume formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) - what format is the drive the iPhoto library is on?

4 - no - if the drive is properly formatted the Dell can not open it and if it can it has no idea what to do with it - the iPhoto library must be used by iphoto on a Mac - if you want to have your photo on a PC you have to export them to a drive the PC can read

LN

iphoto from external hard drive won't open on another macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.