Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded to Mavericks and now iPhoto 8.2 can't see my camera. From reading here today it appears that I should have updated to iPhoto 9 when I updated, but I can't because Apple decided I'm not allowed?

I updated from SnowLeopard to Mavericks in February, and yesterday was the first time that I tried to download pictures from my iPhone to my computer since then. The iPhoto I have is version 8, from iWork 09, and it no longer seems to recognize that the iPhone is there when I plug it in. And Image Capture does put the phone in its device list, but it's empty.

From reading a few threads here it seems that I should have updated iPhoto at some point in the past when Apple had it available, and now, for some unknown reason Apple has taken the update away. And the only way to know this would have been by getting the thoughts beamed to me from the magical Apple ESP mind-control channel. Apparently it was a big mistake to wear the tinfoil hat when Apple was sending thoughts...

So is it really true that I'm screwed and can no longer copy pictures from my iPhone to my computer?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 8:50 PM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2015 9:26 PM in response to cathy fasano

You can try purchasing an iLife '11 DVD from eBay or Amazon an updating - I am not sure it is possible to update to iphoto 9.5.1 where you need be

Or you can upgrade to Yosemite OS X 10.10.3 and iPhoto 9.6.1 or Photos (your choice) and be ok - If you go that route post back because there may be some special issues there too

In the future it is best to stay up to date and not wait year to update - either update soon after releases ro stay with the software you have and like - waiting years and then upgrading is not a good idea

LN

Apr 27, 2015 7:32 AM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN wrote:

In the future it is best to stay up to date and not wait year to update - either update soon after releases ro stay with the software you have and like - waiting years and then upgrading is not a good idea

Yeah, those of us who use macs for paid work must wait until our 3rd-party software vendors upgrade before we can upgrade. There are only two ways to solve this problem,

• If Apple were to stop actively sabotaging their customers' work; or
  • if I were to migrate my employer to Windows.

Only the second option is even marginally within my control...

(Keeping my employer on os x is getting harder and harder as Apple drives the 3rd-party software developers out of the market, and breaks the software of the dwindling customers -- end users and 3rd-party developers -- who remain.)

Anyway, thanks for the pointers. I am going to see if I can track down iPhoto 9 on one of the mavericks machines I set up last fall.

I upgraded to Mavericks and now iPhoto 8.2 can't see my camera. From reading here today it appears that I should have updated to iPhoto 9 when I updated, but I can't because Apple decided I'm not allowed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.