Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used or New MacBook?

Recently my 2010 MacBook Pro has started to slow down on me and is really starting to slow me down while working. I have decided to pass it on to someone one in my family and I am looking for a new computer to purchase. I have decided on the Mid-2014 13-in Retina MB Pro (A1502) but I don't exactly need the new features of the new 2015 model that just came out and it would save me a little cash. I have been looking for new/used 2014 models and have found a couple options. I am looking for the base line configuration with 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, and 2.4GHz i5.

Option 1 is to purchase a brand new computer from a local store near me for only $1100.

Option 2 being that I purchase a slightly used machine in very good condition for only $950 from a friend. The machine is in great condition with almost no signs of wear.

So basically, I am asking whether it is safe or not to purchase a used Mac. I would like to hear some opinions regarding these two options and which route I should go. Shall I spend the extra $150 on a unopened device or save a few bucks on a virtually brand new one?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 7:57 PM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2015 2:45 AM in response to s65amg

The advantage of a new MBP is that it comes with a one year warranty and 90 days of telephone support. Not so with a second hand MBP. If the bank account is a bit thin, look at the refurbished section of the Apple online store. You get the same warranty as a new one and the three I have purchased have all been in perfect cosmetic condition.

If you purchase a second hand one, then you have to be somewhat savvy in checking it out. If possible, a genius bar appointment can reduce the risk. I recently purchased a second hand MBP in very good condition, but it was from a very reputable source which came with 14 day return privilege and a 90 day warranty. Perhaps I am lucky, but that MBP runs like a 'new' one. If the price is right, then the extra risk may be worth it.

Ciao.

Apr 27, 2015 6:03 AM in response to s65amg

Option 3. Post the EtreCheck output and maybe figure out why your Mac is running slow (maybe in a new thread so that you do not mix purchase options with debugging information).

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6174>

Even if you do decide to get a new Mac, it would be nice to pass along a Mac working better than it currently is

Option 4. Replace the current hard disk with an SSD, or remove the DVD and put an SSD there. And adding more RAM if the Mac will accept it.

Option 5. Get an Apple Refurbished Mac. Full Apple warranties.

<http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals>

Used or New MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.