Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Photos app has doubled the storage on my iMac, maxed out my storage on my iPhone 5, takes FOREVER and a DAY to download and play a 3 sec video, I wait too long if I choose to edit a photo. My questions are below.

Am I the only one to have these issues?

For some reason my photo list now has many duplicate's which take up extra memory on both my iPhone and iMac.

All of these issues result in my battery use time in my iPhone being drastIcally reduced.

I have two iPhones, one is the iPhone 5 and the other being an iPhone 4s and both have 16GB of memory. Both have identical issues with Photos. Why are all of my 400+ events on my iPhones and even on my iPad Air. It took 51 seconds to watch a 6 second video download and play on my iPhone 4s and on my iPhone 5, and instantly play on my iPad Air with 128 GB. Obviously the functionality of the device depends on the availability of memory. But programs that need so much memory to function, as intended, should check the device for sufficient memory before forcing itself into the device and thus causing the device to come to an operating standstill. If apps can't operate what good is it. I began deleting apps that I use regularly hoping I can stop this runaway monster. I started seeing extremely strange information on my Contacts, iCal, and health apps I rely on on a daily basis. I tried turning my iPhones completely off and restarting again and this helped only for a short period of time before Photos began ingesting available memory.

I take a lot of pictures and when my Camera quits I get very concerned. Prior to Photos in iPhoto I had almost 17,000 photos and about 40,000 more to add on CDs and in other areas of my iMac. I was using less than 2 Gigs of HD space. The same photos in Photos takes up only 66 MBs of space. An iPhoto photo file was about 2.5 MB in size. In Photos, the same photo is 1.3 MBs which is understandable. Big screen, big file. Small screen, small file. If the file in Photos is now the file you must use to print with, there will be a very noticeable difference in quality. Maybe not in the future with perhaps a new type of file compression but now I can see a noticeable difference. What if you do this professionally? Sure you could use Aperture (better hurry because I read Apple was no longer supporting it) but I know many professionals who display their work in iPhoto because it is ok for their purpose but what about Photos pictures displayed on a 27" monitor? The name of the photo in iPhoto i.e. IMG_1234.jpg will be different, IMG_7890.jpg maybe in Photos or IMG_6250.jpg or who knows. It could be difficult if you had a master list of your photos from iPhoto and you need to locate it or describe it to someone on the other side of the world.

Honestly, I am not real sure the path that the original photo from my iPhone 5 takes. For me, when I take a photo, it can take days before showing up on my other iPhone or my iPad Air or on my iMac 27. I can't explain this but I hate it. I read somewhere that the original photo goes up to Photos on the Cloud, then it comes down to your other devices. Maybe you don't care but if it can't be seen on my iMac 27 in Photos that evening, I get worried.

Personally I don't find any use for this program for the type of use I need. If I want to see thousands of my photos from the last 50 years (I took about 20 reels of my Kodak slides to Costco and had them digitized on to a cd, took the reels home, dumped them out and refilled the reels with more slides, back to Costco, and repeated the process).

Lately I have asked myself, how did I get involved in this mess. I can't believe I agreed to this. I don't think I had a choice of downloading a new app that replaced a perfectly good app that did as advertised. I feel like someone took advantage of me. As a disabled senior I am constantly looking out for situations just like this. They provided an app or program with the same name and icon as its predecessor that operates totally different than the app it replaced. Apple should give us back the previous version of "PHOTOS" and rename the new version and give us back the CHOICE we are use to.

What are my options so that I can get MY PHOTOS (the ones that I took, not the app ) back to a usable state? Is iPhoto a thing of the past? When I checked Image Capture, iPhoto was no longer there as an option. Photos was at the top of the list. This was a planned and organized attempt to Flim-Flam us and hopefully someone should apologize to us for pulling a fast one over on us. "Us" does not include "Ish" if you couldn't tell and definitely not my first rodeo!

Andy

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:46 PM

Where are the "Level 7, 8, 9 and 10's" we are accustomed to seeing here on the Apple Discussion Groups and who offer so much assistance to us who are sincerely looking for a helping hand?

I honestly feel like I have lost total control of an important and vital part of my iPhone, without the ability to view and edit photos and videos within a normal amount of time.

And, I understand that it would be great to have purchased an iPhone 5 or 4s with about a mega billion trillion gigs bytes of memory so that Photos would function without issues, but, I didn't.

Thanks

Andy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 10:46 PM in response to andyhutch1947

Where are the "Level 7, 8, 9 and 10's" we are accustomed to seeing here on the Apple Discussion Groups and who offer so much assistance to us who are sincerely looking for a helping hand?

I honestly feel like I have lost total control of an important and vital part of my iPhone, without the ability to view and edit photos and videos within a normal amount of time.

And, I understand that it would be great to have purchased an iPhone 5 or 4s with about a mega billion trillion gigs bytes of memory so that Photos would function without issues, but, I didn't.

Thanks

Andy

New Photos app has doubled the storage on my iMac, maxed out my storage on my iPhone 5, takes FOREVER and a DAY to download and play a 3 sec video, I wait too long if I choose to edit a photo. My questions are below.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.