Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s activation

I Bought iPhone 5s on the old cdma cricket and I am trying to migrate to the new cricket gsm but can't I get a message that the SIM card is not valid. I went to cricket and they said that that doesn't happen because you just need a SIM card as long as you have A newer iPhone it should work on the new gsm network. They didn't help they just said go to the Apple Store. So I did go and they didn't help either. I don't know where I can use my phone. I also had this phone replaced 2 times because the original had problems I don't know if it is because of that maybe Apple gave me a wrong refurbished one.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:49 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2015 12:13 AM in response to vgar109

You might find that you need to buy a new phone because the CDMA networks and GSM networks are not the same. If the original phone that you have was designed to work on a CDMA network, then you probably will not be able to use it on the a GSM network.

If you want to use the Cricket GSM network, then you might need to buy a new phone that is a GSM phone and sell or recycle your old CDMA phone to fund the purchase of a new GSM phone. Buy an unlocked GSM phone directly from Apple and then you can use any sim card in it.

Apr 27, 2015 6:03 AM in response to vgar109

vgar109 wrote:

I Bought iPhone 5s on the old cdma cricket and I am trying to migrate to the new cricket gsm but can't I get a message that the SIM card is not valid. I went to cricket and they said that that doesn't happen because you just need a SIM card as long as you have A newer iPhone it should work on the new gsm network. They didn't help they just said go to the Apple Store. So I did go and they didn't help either. I don't know where I can use my phone. I also had this phone replaced 2 times because the original had problems I don't know if it is because of that maybe Apple gave me a wrong refurbished one.

It sounds as if the problem is that your phone is carrier locked. You'll need to contact the carrier to which it is locked and have them unlock it.

Apr 27, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Ethmoid

Ethmoid wrote:

You might find that you need to buy a new phone because the CDMA networks and GSM networks are not the same. If the original phone that you have was designed to work on a CDMA network, then you probably will not be able to use it on the a GSM network.

An iPhone 5S is capable of GSM, CDMA and 4G LTE. The fact that it may have originally been intended to work on a CDMA network does not change the fact that it has GSM and 4G LTE capabilities. There is no such thing as a "CDMA iPhone 5S". The only all CDMA iPhone Apple made as a version of the iPhone 4. It is also not possible for a GSM phone to work on a GSM network without a SIM card.

iPhone 5s activation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.