Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are movies shared to Apple devices stored exactly? When I shut down FCPX the shared movie disappears from iTunes.

FCPX v10.2

Destination settings:

Apple Devices 1080p

Video Codec: H.264 Better Quality

Resolution: 1920x1080

Add to playlist: Library

Many thanks for anyone who can help me before I completely lose my mind!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 10:10 PM

37 replies

Mar 2, 2017 7:27 AM in response to jmar17

Create a new destination, using Compressor Settings. When you choose it to share to in the popup box where you can add in tags and a description, when you click next you will be given the option to direct it to the folder of your choosing. It will hold whatever setting you put in there but you can also change it next time you use it. It just took me a couple of hours to discover this. It's in the directions but kind of buried in there. Good luck.

Dec 17, 2017 10:26 AM in response to jmar17

I really can’t find mu .mov file! Unfortunately saved it on Apple devices..... Wish I hadn’t done that. It wasn’t in my home videos nor on any other place I tried. Finder frame remained empty when I typed the name of the file. Seems it vanished although it took a bit from my memory..... Sigh!

Dec 18, 2017 12:57 PM in response to JetNN

Hi. I posted an observation, but am not seeing it.

First, I use “Apple Devices 720/1080” exclusively, and my files are .m4v, so you might want to check that, too.

Second, when first selecting the share option, the dialogue box opens in the “info” window showing the proposed title.

If you select “Settings” of the “info/settings” switch, there is a “ when done” pull-down menu which I have set to “do nothing”. This isn’t important, really, but it prevents FCPX from doing something you don’t want done. I think the default is “Library”, which may put it in the “iTunes Media” folder in the Sidebar-Music folder (located in your disk sidebar). Not sure about that. Might put it in a folder in the Sidebar-Movies folder.

However, with “Do Nothing” selected, clicking “next” offers up the last save location. His might help you find where it went, but may only give a default location if it has never been used.

Hope something helps.

Dec 19, 2017 11:54 AM in response to Clyde Crocker

And then, there's the option of duplicating your steps, even tho' I don't usually set "When Done" to "Library".

I found the video in iTunes under the Home Movie tab. Right--click the video in iTunes and click the "files" tab.

Mine told me:

//Volumes/Video Assets/Family.fcpbundle/Family Projects /Shared Items/6KU+NYzBSPG04kgL+BJjtw/16-02 Amazon - Cleared (854 x 480).m4v

This means nothing specific to anyone else, but generally speaking, it means it is in the FCPX project folder "xxx.fcpbundle" in the "Project Name" folder in the "Shared Items" folder.

If you have never opened a FCPX project folder, don't double-click to open, cuz it will just open up FCPX.

Right-click the folder and choose "view contents".

Hope it works for you, and you are welcome.

Apr 26, 2015 10:57 PM in response to jmar17

TThat correct. It disappears from fcp, but it should be in iTunes. Your question says it's disappearing from iTunes. Export the file to iTunes. Do not close FCP. Open iTunes if it's not already in open. Is the file in iTunes? If it is use the reveal in Finder function in iTunes to see where the file actually is. Close FCP. Has the file disappeared from iTunes and from the Finder?

Apr 26, 2015 11:21 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

"Just to be clear, when you use the show in Finder function in iTunes it takes you to the share folder inside the FCP bundle, is that correct?" - correct

From my iTunes preferences the /Users/(myusername)/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Home Videos

I added that subfolder to distinguish home videos from purchased movies.

thanks for your help btw!

Where are movies shared to Apple devices stored exactly? When I shut down FCPX the shared movie disappears from iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.