Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal SSD will not mount to perform new install...

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) that has been running Yosemite 10.10.X on a Crucial M500 480GB SSD for the past 6 months, I don't believe trim was ever enabled, and it wasn't until I read all the links about kext signing while trying to research my issue that I learned apple stopped supporting this functionality for 3rd party SSD's with Yosemite.

The drive has always had Yosemite on it from the beginning, and I had no issues when I first set everything up, from installing the SSD to installing a fresh version of Yosemite from a bootable USB thumb drive, but a few days ago I installed the latest updates, which I believe was 10.10.3, and on the reboot I received the circle with a slash through it.

So let me first state I am now running on the original HDD that came with the MacBook Pro, I just installed it and installed a fresh copy of Yosemite on it from the same USB thumb drive, and then did all the updates, currently running 10.10.3, without one single issue...

If I hook up the SSD via USB to the MacBook it loads just fine and I am able to manipulate it, format it, partition it, so I formatted and partitioned it as a Mac OS extended (Journaled) format with a GUILD partition table, if I take this drive and install it back into the MacBook and boot via the USB install thumb drive, sometimes it won't even let me past the selection of English for the main language, and it never voices the selection through the speakers, every once in a while when it will goto the next screen, it doesn't show the SSD as an option to install OS X on, nor will it show up in Disk Utility, but if you check out the system information you can see it does show up under the SATA section...

I am not sure what to think, I can't imagine anything is wrong with the MacBook itself as I am typing this right now with the original HDD running 10.10.3 and everything is working perfectly, but I cannot for the life of me get that SSD to function properly in the MacBook even though up until a few days ago it worked just fine.

I ran the Apple Hardware Test and everything passed, I reset the NVRAM/PRAM multiple times, I also reset the System management controller, but still nothing...

I verified my boot rom & SMC versions are all up to date, I verified the firmware in the SSD is also up to date, I installed it in a windows box as a secondary drive and it was also detected just fine so I could verify the firmware didn't have any updates...

I also tried formatting it as an MBR for windows, and then formatted it back to the GUILD OS extended Journaled format...

I am running out of ideas...any thoughts?

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 9:54 PM

14 replies

Apr 27, 2015 8:20 AM in response to foofoodar

I just called Crucial and spoke with Tech support about this issue, and I was advise to Power cycle the drive, 20 Minutes on, 30 seconds off, 20 minutes on, 30 seconds off is suppose to restore the settings in the drive to a factory default, so I will try this and then attempt to reinstall OSX, if this doesn't work I am going to RMA the drive back to Crucial.

If the new drive still causes the same issue, I was also advised that it could be a faulty SATA connector, so that will be the last step, hopefully something works...

Apr 27, 2015 8:33 AM in response to foofoodar

"I was also advised that it could be a faulty SATA connector"

"If I hook up the SSD via USB to the MacBook it loads just fine"

" I am typing this right now with the original HDD running 10.10.3 and everything is working perfectly"

There have been failures of the SATA cable where this would happen. I think you proved it when you were able to manipulate the SSD via USB.

Apr 27, 2015 8:52 AM in response to spudnuty

How come the original HDD works flawlessly on the same SATA cable then? I am not 100% convinced this is the issue yet, I think it does have the potential to be the issue depending on how a replacement SSD responds...

Apparently Crucial says they have seen this issue before were the SATA cable fails because of the amount of data an SSD passes through, just doesn't make sense because I thought Apple sold these machines with SSD's as an upgrade option so wouldn't we see a lot more of this issue? I guess maybe the cable just isn't made to a good standard?

Apr 27, 2015 9:26 AM in response to foofoodar

foofoodar wrote:

...I was advise to Power cycle the drive, 20 Minutes on, 30 seconds off, 20 minutes on, 30 seconds off is suppose to restore the settings in the drive to a factory default, so I will try this and then attempt to reinstall OSX, if this doesn't work I am going to RMA the drive back to Crucial...

First, do you have the latest firmware? You can check that in System Information; the "revision" should be MU05. You can get the latest firmware here. And compared to some other SSD brands, the firmware update is relatively simple.

Second, the reason behind the Power Cycle instructions is here.

Third, the issue of TRIM vs Yosemite is discussed hereand the reason why TRIM is a good idea with the M500 and other SSDs is discussed here.

Apr 27, 2015 11:26 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

I have been running on the MU05 firmware since I purchased the drive...

I have a feeling I know what caused the issue, I had to hold down the power button down about an hour after I updated my system to 10.10.3 as I was surfing the web and everything locked up...I wonder if crucial has any idea why the SSD responds this way...

Is using Trim Enabler or Chameleon SSD Optimizer a good idea vs just letting the drive use Garbage Collection? I'm almost beginning to wonder if the trim not being enabled and my laptop not being allowed to sit idle is part of the issue here...of course I formatted the drive, so I assume that would correct this issue at least in this instance?

I will power cycle the drive and report back what happens this evening, I wish I would have brought it to work with me, it would already have been done...

Thanks for all the input so far!

Apr 27, 2015 11:47 AM in response to foofoodar

Since the power cycling fix is tied to power loss, as opposed to a clean shutdown, causing a problem, you could be right about what started the issue. At the same time, I'm using an M500 too and couple of times I've had to force a shutdown but without such consequences.

The problem could be aggravated by the SSD's controller running out of room to do its wear leveling if you've got the drive pretty full. Garbage collection is a process to which TRIM contributes, as you can see in the graph in this link. The controller can get by without TRIM but its success varies considerably, depending on the brand. The trouble with activating TRIM is that, with Yosemite, if certain events occur, you could brick your system. The discussion of TRIM vs Yosemite I linked to gives instructions on how get running again but you'd need to boot from a different drive and work on the afflicted drive using Terminal commands.

Apr 27, 2015 12:19 PM in response to foofoodar

foofoodar wrote:

Is there a way to set overprovisioning for the M500 and would it help?...

Yes there is and, in fact, that's what I did when I first installed my M500. I have a 960 GB M500 and when I first partitioned it, I reduced the partition size by about 20% leaving the rest unused. The key is that while the user can't use that space, the SSD controller can and does and that increased the overprovisioning built into the drive by the manufacturer. That's one advantage of getting a large drive.

Apr 28, 2015 7:10 AM in response to foofoodar

"doesn't make sense because I thought Apple sold these machines with SSD's"

Right, with SSDs made to operate w/ Apple computers. Historically this has always been an issue.

I've only used SSDs from OWC. They do sell a Crucial Micron 960 GB:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Crucial/CT960M500S7M/

I'm sure if you talked to their tech services they could tell you what's going on.

Apr 28, 2015 9:06 AM in response to spudnuty

I just RMA'd my Crucial 480 GB SSD, I'll try this route, if it doesn't work I will replace the SATA cable and hopefully one of the two works, I will report back when I know more, but it may be a couple of weeks as I am shipping out the original SSD today.

I do have a Samsung Evo 240GB in a windows machine, I could always swap them around as I don't need all the space anymore, if it has to resort to that, it is just all the extra work of formatting and updating and everything that goes along with a new setup.

Thanks for everybodys help so far!

Apr 28, 2015 9:08 AM in response to foofoodar

foofoodar wrote:

How come the original HDD works flawlessly on the same SATA cable then? I am not 100% convinced this is the issue yet, I think it does have the potential to be the issue depending on how a replacement SSD responds...

Because the SSD sends much more data down the pipe than the HDD does (in the same time)

It is a relatively common issue, it is cheap to fix, why argue about it. FYI, I use the Crucial SSD's, they work fine, change your SATA cable.

Internal SSD will not mount to perform new install...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.