Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rentals not showing across devices

I rented a movie on my Apple TV last night and would like to watch parts of it again today on my iPhone (as I'm out of the house) but it's not showing up on my iPhone (or iTunes on my computer). My account has registered that I rented it last night and charged me. Can I watch it again on my iPhone? My apple TV is switched off at home so it won't be playing twice.

Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2017 2:16 PM

I rented a movie on my AppleTV (4). Spinning circle, no movie start. No rental tab either. Used remote control's play button and that helped. Movie showed up also on my iTunes on my iMac, and could be downloaded also there. Paused the movie. Still no rental tab on AppleTV.

Second movie rented on AppleTV. Same thing again. It shows up only on my computer's iTunes. Using remote control to click play on AppleTV, and again just a spinning circle. Using thereafter remote's play button and a message shows that I cannot see this movie on my AppleTV. So now I download it on the computer for possible later streaming to my AppleTV.

I have latest software, super quick internet connection, and done all suggested resets and power off/on etc. No rental tab at all on my AppleTV.

Frustrating!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2017 2:16 PM in response to King_Penguin

I rented a movie on my AppleTV (4). Spinning circle, no movie start. No rental tab either. Used remote control's play button and that helped. Movie showed up also on my iTunes on my iMac, and could be downloaded also there. Paused the movie. Still no rental tab on AppleTV.

Second movie rented on AppleTV. Same thing again. It shows up only on my computer's iTunes. Using remote control to click play on AppleTV, and again just a spinning circle. Using thereafter remote's play button and a message shows that I cannot see this movie on my AppleTV. So now I download it on the computer for possible later streaming to my AppleTV.

I have latest software, super quick internet connection, and done all suggested resets and power off/on etc. No rental tab at all on my AppleTV.

Frustrating!

Apr 27, 2015 3:50 AM in response to chebsper

Rentals are a one-time only download, they won't show on other devices or computers for redownloading, and if you downloaded it on your Apple TV then that is the only place that you can watch it : About renting movies from the iTunes Store - Apple Support :

If you rented the movie on your computer, but want to watch it on an iOS device, connect the devices and sync using USB. When you move a rented movie from your computer, it will disappear from your computer’s iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as often as you want, but you can only have it on one device at a time.

If you rented the movie on your iOS device or Apple TV, you can’t move it to any other device.

Dec 30, 2016 11:40 AM in response to King_Penguin

I couldn't get my Apple TV to play in English again after setting it to Dutch for a kids party (I'm a Brit living in Holland). So I thought to Rent on my iPhone and stream it to my Apple TV. Alas I couldn't do that and as I don't fancy watching a film on my phone with my son, I ended up having to rent it again on my Apple TV which now *is* playing English after a reboot. And they wonder why people pirate instead of acquire legally!

Rentals not showing across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.