Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed.

Hey.

So for the last couple of months my iPhone 5s has been refusing to connect with iTunes. It will connect to my windows computer and start charging, but then the error message comes up saying "this iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again." I have quite literally done everything to try and fix this e.g. Uninstall iTunes completely in a specific order, using a different cable and USB port, install drivers again etc. I think i have read every single forum on the internet but with no answer.

It is probably worth noting that for some reason Apple Mobile Device Support is not under my Programs and Features. If anyone has this issue or has an answer it will be very helpful.

Thank you.

iPhone 5,

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 11:51 PM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2015 12:24 AM in response to Ravi Thakkar

Looks like you need to restore your device. Please note, this will erase all the data from your iPhone.

First of all, take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If this does not help, try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. You will need to have iTunes installed on this computer. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your iPhone. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your iPhone needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.