Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete photos app and start again? How?

Ok, I've been really daft and did not ever know that there was a photo trash can in iPhoto. So for years in iPhoto I've been deleting or rather just removing photos and not thinking much of it.

Just did my mac updates and notice I now have Photo. Open up and wow I now have 100s of photos that I thought I had deleted, some years ago.

With over 16,000 photos in total this is not a job I want to go through sifting and deleting the rubbish again.

I opened my time machine but can't work out how to go back. Is there any way of wiping photo and then starting again? It didn't ask me about importing or merging from iPhoto it seemed to have done it on its own. If the photos are still in iPhoto can I delete photo and reinstall after fixing the issue in iPhoto?

Afraid to do something and mess it up further and so looking for advice from someone who actually knows what they are doing! User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Thank you!

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 3:09 AM

1 reply

Apr 29, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Lani0310

You can't delete the Photos app as it's part of the system. You can continue to use iPhoto and your iPhoto library. The iPhoto app is still in the Applications folder. If it's iPhoto 9.6.1 it will work with 10.10.3. If it's not try getting 9.6.1 from the App Store following Terence Devlin's instructions below:

Terence Devlin including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

[DocumentBodyStart:d25bf602-029a-4466-b895-2ab6c98bb4c9]

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Regarding the "deleted" photos did you systematically empty the iPhoto Trash bin each time you delete photos?

User uploaded file

Can I delete photos app and start again? How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.