Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant restore iphone 4s itunes unknown error -1

Hi everyone i had a problem lately trying to restore my old iphone 4s on ios 8.First of all everything goes well till the end of restoring loading bar ,and than a msg pops...Itunes cant restore iphone unknown error -1. I tried the process around 4-5 times and its the same,changed computers also tried on 3 other pc's.

This iphone is a 4s model----->sim locked and before i wanted to do this i made a restore from iphone itself than wanted to update the firmware but i cant...any help would be appriciated cuz i ended with a bricked phone 😟 😟

User uploaded file

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 4:05 AM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2015 5:09 PM in response to Ingo2711

Hi everyone, I have exactly the same issue with the same device.

Restore with update to official 8.3 stops at the end of update bar with error -1.

Cant get out of "Connect to iTunes" loop after.

DFU mode restore didnt solve anything.

IPhone 4s was jailbroken 8.1.2. - Does it really matters? One would expect DFU recovery independence of device software.

Also tried reinstallation to older version of iTunes 12.0.1. - Recovery progress seems to act the same way but error code is 48...

Thanks for help in advance

Apr 27, 2015 10:31 PM in response to JackRow

JackRow wrote:

IPhone 4s was jailbroken 8.1.2. - Does it really matters? One would expect DFU recovery independence of device software.

Yes, jailbreaking can damage your device and make it useless. That's why Apple does not recommend this:

Inability to apply future software updates: Some unauthorized modifications have caused damage to iOS that is not repairable. This can result in the hacked iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iOS update is installed.

Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks iOS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of iOS is a violation of the iOS end-user software license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software.

copied from Unauthorized modification of iOS can cause security vulnerabilities, instability, shortened battery life, and other issu…

May 1, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Dondonald19

I have already found a solution.

You should download iOs 8.2 ipsw file and restore from iTunes with pressed shift button. Not sure when iOs 8.2 support will end!

Restore with iOs 8.2 was flawless.

And Ingo2711: this kind of response was completely useles. Maybe you should not write anything if you realy dont want to help. It can save your time.

May 1, 2015 6:17 AM in response to JackRow

@JackRow

Did you read the Terms of Use of these forums you agreed to, when you decided to join the discussions?

Problems with jailbroken devices can't be discussed here. So, users that had the software of their devices modified can't get any help here because of these Terms of Use, and not because other users don't want to help.

cant restore iphone 4s itunes unknown error -1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.