Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i see video clips already imported in to an event?

I have already created and shared one movie project from the clips and from photos but now want to make another. However, when i go to the library it only shows me the content of the first project, including the photos, not all of the video clips i originally imported. I can't believe that I need to import them all again.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 2:13 AM

9 replies

Apr 27, 2015 10:06 AM in response to GeeD

Geoff, I'm sure the clips are there but the question is how do I view them, I believe it's an iMovie 10 function that I am failing to spot?

In this instance I imported a weeks worth of movie clips from a holiday in to 1 event. I created a movie for the first 2 days successfully and now want to create further movies for the rest of the week. I have created a new project to work on, however when I look at the Event library now all it shows me are the contents of the first movie, clips and photos, but I can't see the clips from the remainder of the week.

Am I missing something about the way iMovie 10 works that is different to iMovie 9 and which seemed to work fine in the same circumstances?

Apr 27, 2015 11:03 AM in response to topscott

Make sure that at the top right of the event pane it says "All Clips" and not "Favourites" and all clips in the event should be visible (whether or not you used them in your first movie) as you scroll through the event pane. Top left in the event pane it gives the event name and the number of items. Is this the the number you expect?

Geoff.

Apr 27, 2015 3:08 PM in response to GeeD

Geoff, I can confirm that the drop down for 'Favourites/Rejected etc" works but even when it is set to 'All Clips' it still only shows the movie project files and the content of the first project that I completed. This is also reflected in the 'number of items' display which is well short of the full clip count.

Any other thoughts?

Roger

Apr 28, 2015 1:23 AM in response to topscott

If you right-click on your iMovie library in the Finder and select "Show Package Contents" you will find folders for each event. Within each event folder will be a folder "Original Media". These contain all the clips including stills of the event and are the ones you see in the event pane of iMovie since it is what iMovie reads when you select an event. If clips are missing then either were never imported successfully, were deleted or are in a different event, possibly in a different library.

Geoff.

Apr 28, 2015 9:11 AM in response to GeeD

Geoff, thanks for that.

When I checked as you suggested I found that the files were as displayed in iMovie, in other words the other clips were not there.

However, I did find them in a folder called iMovie Events which, along with iMovie Projects, I have realised are iMovie 9 folders. I had also imported them into iMovie 9, which I had been using because I preferred the layout to iMovie 10, but since the OS change from iPhoto to Photos I couldn't see my pictures in 9 anymore, hence the move to 10.

I guess the system got confused between the two versions. I have now deleted the event from 9 and reimported my videos into 10 but in individual events to avoid confusion. I believe that will resolve the issue, thanks for your help.

Roger

May 1, 2015 8:43 AM in response to GeeD

Geoff

It seems I was premature here. Having reloaded my clips, separating them by a folder for each day, I have begun assembling a new movie. However, I have now found that about half of the clips in one of the folders have disappeared, including many that I actually have on my movie timeline! Have checked the package contents again and they are missing from there too. There is clearly a problem with the application, how do I go about reporting it?

Roger

May 1, 2015 11:16 AM in response to topscott

It seems to me that you must have imported your clips using iMovie 9, (that's why they are all in the Events folder which belongs to iMovie 9). Then you must have upgraded your current project to iMovie 10 which will have put the clips used in that project (but not all the others) into your iMovie 10 library. iMovie 10 has a totally different storage arrangement for media. You should be able to update your other iMovie 9 projects by choosing File > Update Projects and Events in iMovie 10. See: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0.8/#/mov902ad0c31

This does not stop you from continuing to use the projects in iMovie 9 though any further editing you do will not be transferred to the other version of iMovie.

Geoff.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.