Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup local folder to a server

Hi,

does anyone know how to set up the computer to backup a local folder to a folder on a connected server?

Macbook Pro Retina, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 15”

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Retina 15"

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 4:03 AM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2015 6:22 AM in response to osloarnt

What kind of server?

Is the server a Mac? Windows? Unix/Linux? A NAS (Network Attached Storage)?

Is the server server's file system mounted, or is it just that the server is accessible via the network?

Depending on the answer, I might suggest Dropbox.com. Or Carbon Copy Cloner (just subset the files so it is not so much a clone as a copy of the desired folder(s)). Or CrashPlan. Or rsync (roll your own; mostly a pain to get right, but it can work). Other.

Apr 27, 2015 8:04 AM in response to osloarnt

Then I would go with something like Carbon Copy Cloner. And instead of backing up your entire file system, select just the folder(s) you want to backup.

Then use the Carbon Copy Cloner scheduler to arrange for periodic backups.

There are other folder sync utilities available, and I'm sure Google would find them, I'm just not familiar with them.

If you are into rolling your own, you could most likely use the Unix rsync command (which is really what Carbon Copy Cloner is using, only in an easy to use GUI that gets all the details right). Throw in a Launch daemon to automatically run it, and you have a sync utility. Rude and crude, but if you can figure it out, it is free assuming you do not charge for your labor 🙂.

Backup local folder to a server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.