Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPhotos open?

this has been going on for a long time! I've updated my laptop and i've searched, but nothing! every time i try to open it,,, a pop up comes up saying i need to update to the latest version and i've gone to the app store, but it says what i'm searching for isn't available in the U.S.

Someone please help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 7:10 AM

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 7:10 AM in response to guadaluupesss

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 1, 2015 6:32 PM in response to Yer_Man

Succeeded in getting the new photo app into the trash but could not get iPhoto to reload . . . at the app store, iPhoto shows in purchases but there is no live click for it as there is for the other ones . . . thought it might be hidden, so checked that and found garage band that I'd taken off the dock some time ago so unhid that to see if it worked, which it did but still no photos . . . plugged my camera into the laptop so see if it would download pictures, omg what a mess . . . gone are the lists of albums from the lefthand side of the screen, now they're all in one long document complete with thumbnails that have to be scrolled through, aarrrghhhh!!!!

May 1, 2015 8:40 PM in response to annefromlake country

I upgraded to Yosemite a few days ago and iPhoto was working fine. Did an upgrade of operating system this morning, and iPhoto has disappeared. I can't upgrade from the App store ('this item is not available from the Australian store'). Tried switching stores, but still no luck. I get the message that iPhoto has been discontinued. I can open my photos in Photos, but it doesn't suit. I have multiple libraries which were easy to use in iPhoto, and want iPhoto back!

May 2, 2015 12:06 AM in response to annefromlake country

Apple Support can be contacted through the Support section of the Apple ti. Not sure why you're asking here.

For both people in this thread, read the answer marked already as correct. Specifically, annfromlake country, note that it says

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app

Not, as you have done

Succeeded in getting the new photo app into the trash

May 2, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Yer_Man

sorry to misunderstand you . . . the original problem was that I didn't appear to have an iPhoto app any longer, so had nothing to drag to the trash . . . what I thought was a new app was a little round flower/circle thing that appeared when I accepted a holiday photo sharing invite from a relative (which I've accepted before but without the icon appearing on my dock) . . . either way, the iPhoto icon in the app store's list of purchases won't move . . . it offers an update but nothing happens when the update is clicked on . . . the question about Apple support was rhetorical, my real query being why do updates cause problems and why aren't they sorted out before releasing them so that computer know-nothings like myself, who purchased Apple for it's user friendly plug and play reputation, don't find themselves sitting in the midst of a blue fog because an update has cancelled out something else . . . :-/

May 2, 2015 9:56 AM in response to annefromlake country

I logged in to Apple to report a problem and did a "live chat". I had already followed the directions given here about "if you didn't upgrade iphoto to 9.6.1 before installing the new OS upgrade"....and as result, made a copy of the iPhoto I had, then trashed the iphoto application from my Mac. I then went to the itunes store and couldn't download either. I restarted my Mac. In frustration, I did the live chat....told the gal I saw I had a "free" iphoto 9.5.1 upgrade under purchased, but couldn't find where I could download it or upgrade it and needed to as I did not have iPhoto on my computer. She suggested screen sharing which I did and then she led me step by step to find the install. Turns out the A for Apps in my dock had an upgrade to Yosemite and and install for iPhoto...and it was the suggested 9.6.1. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! YEA!

May 11, 2015 11:30 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terance, I too am falling through the cracks in trying to find the new version of i photo. I have been reading all the entries and advice thus far in the forum, and reading the release notes as you implied but they presume you know enough about the operation system to not need them..

To wit: have just upgraded to Mavericks (ver.10.9.5). from Snow leopard (10.6.8) to see the original iPhoto (ver 9.2.3) become inaccessible (w/grey round circle over print on icon in dock). . I cannot for the life of me, find the upgraded (≥ ver. iPhoto 9.5.1) other than going thru the icon at top right of my 'compose email' window. Visited the Purchased items in app store & I have read your nicely detailed section about unhiding purchased items: I checked that and nothing was hidden (I had never hid anything anyway) but still toggled it on and off to be sure. Still no iPhone upgrade shows up in the app store purchased items or in any other category shown....

I had been cautioned by a local really sharp Mac expert, to expect to have to go through the Mavericks system upgrade sequence many times as Mavericks does not upgrade these "peripherals(?) all in one step. Now, two days–and about 15 hrs on, I have gotten much transferred over but with iPhoto, I have hit a wall. I understand that it is in the cloud now but if we could make some sort of alias and drag it to the dock, to at least pretend we can access our photos directly as we did "in the good ole days" .

I'm otherwise lost in the cloud .

Thanks

May 13, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

I sense you are beginning to loose patience with this problem, and Apple themselves don't seem to care (based on recent web chat).

Maybe we're to blame for doing the update that included Photos (ref your comment 'read the release notes), but whilst it may have been clear that Photos would be installed, it was by no means clear that iPhoto would be killed.

My specific problem is that I have never downloaded iPhoto from the App Store, so either showing or hidden there is nothing there. Just last month I decided to upgrade my iMac specifically to get iPhoto before it became unavailable and I therefore thought I had bought a computer with the most up to date version of iPhoto prior to it's withdrawal. I'm therefore pretty upset to have lost it just 6 weeks later!

Apple's response is that Photos is better .... not the case if you have many years of cataloguing invested in over 35,000 pictures.

So, key question, what can be done with a 'killed' iPhoto 9.6, and no download history in the AppStore?

Thanks,

John

May 13, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

We're going in cicles ....

I have signed in using my correct ID ... the point is that I have never downloaded iPhoto from the App Store .... it was pre-installed on my brand new iMac.

I've followed the link to the 'un-hide' approach, and I've followed another poster's suggestion to create a whole new user and try that.

Either way, my operating system will not open iPhoto, as it claims it needs updating, and the App Store has absolutely nothing in it that I can download.

48 hours ago I had a fully working iPhoto ... now I don't; it looks pretty dead to me.

Grateful for any further advice,

John

Why won't my iPhotos open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.