Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone screen turns black aftert approx 6-7 hrs of charging and won't turn on

My problem goes like this

About two weeks ago I tried updating my iPhone 5s to iOS 8.3 using wi-fi

A problem occurred while updating and I had to connect the phone to my PC

I had troubles downloading the update and installing it on my phone, but after 5-6 tries it worked

The general problem is that now each time I try to charge my iPhone with a wall charger, after 6-7 hrs or a night of it being plugged in I wake up to my iPhone having a black screen and not working

If I connect it to a PC, it will say that updating is not possible, only restoring

Then I restore it and after using it for a whole day I try to charge it again

And in the morning the same black screen thing happens

I went through this cycle about 10 times by now

My iPhone has been checked in an authorized service and they told me the hardware was fine enough

What can possibly cause such a thing? An improperly working socket?

A broken wall charger? Some kind of an electricity jump (which is ridiculous, why would it happen every night)?

This all started with updating to iOS 8.3, my iPhone was working perfectly before

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, Purchased 14 months ago

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 3:41 AM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2015 12:47 AM in response to Liza Ch

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

If this does not help, try these steps. Note that this may erase the data from your computer.

You need to restore your device to factory settings.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

If this does not help, try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. You will need to have iTunes installed on this computer. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your iPhone. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your iPhone needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

If this does not help, the only way is to have the iPhone checked by Apple technicians at the Apple Store.

Apr 28, 2015 1:27 PM in response to D.Cohen

I went through this cycle of getting a black screen and restoring my iPhone about 12 times by now, so all the advice about hard reboot/recovery mode/DFU mode or whatever is just useless. Trust me, I've tried everything, including connecting iPhone to different PCs and using different USB cords, using different wall chargers, etc.

My iPhone screen turns black aftert approx 6-7 hrs of charging and won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.