Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime player not opening .avi

I just upgraded to the OS X Yosemite (10.10.3) and now all of a sudden my quicktime player doesn't recognise .avi files. its saying that all files I have that are .avi are either damaged or may not be a movie file that is compatible with QuickTime Player.

Do I need to update my QuickTime Player also? how do i do that?

Also, after the upgrade to OS X Yosemite (10.10.3) my screen keeps flickering and made my computer slow.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphic 3000 384 MB

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 4:13 AM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2015 4:51 AM in response to lazyjaze

It's possible Apple broke something else in 10.10.3 which is why I'm staying on 10.10.0

the Mac and Window community have been using VLC player for years, it's like a swiss army knife for playing movies, and it's free. QT is too picky and temperamental. I keep in because it's part of the OS bundle buy I don't use it any longer.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Apr 27, 2015 2:31 PM in response to lazyjaze

Activity Monitor - Mavericks also Yosemite

Activity Monitor in Mavericks has significant changes

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Slow Mac After Mavericks

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

6 Easy Tips to Speed Up OS X Yosemite on Your Mac

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

quicktime player not opening .avi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.