Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login passcode vs restriction passcode

HI,

Is the login passcode (iOS 8.3) the same as Restrictions Passcode ?

iPad 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 10:06 AM

When you enable restrictions for the first time it asks you to set a passcode. This does not have to be the same as your login passcode but can be. You would most likely want to make it different if a child knows the login passcode so that they cannot change restrictions,

6 replies

Apr 27, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Boldsong

No. That does not happen automatically. Only you would know if you used the same passcode for unlocking the iPad and for using Restrictions. You can use the same passcode for both, but you have to set each one individually. If you set the passcode to unlock the iPad, that passcode does not automatically become the restrictions passcode.

Apr 27, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Boldsong

How do I go about if I forgot the "Restrictions" Passcode ?

To be honest I don't remember setting one up. In the last 2-3 updates either from iOs 7 to 8 or 8 to 8.1 or 8.1 to 8.3 , the AppStore stopped asking me the Password (AppleID account). Weird. So I found out the Restrictions passcode is set.

Is this a BUG in the iOS ?

Apr 27, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Boldsong

Unfortunately, you need to restore your iPad as new and totally erase the device in order to remove the passcode. If you by some chance have a backup that does not contain the restrictions passcode, you can restore that backup. If not, you will have to start all over again.

About Restrictions (parental controls) on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

IF you have to start all over again, you should be able to download most if not all of your paid content again as well.

Download past purchases from iTunes in the Cloud - Apple Support

May 11, 2015 5:54 PM in response to Boldsong

If I have to restore the ipad as new, how would I go about copying back (to the iPad) , all the PDF files I have transfered to my iPad iBook (From my Mac thru iTunes) ?

When I Backup my iPad to the Mac, does all the stuff non-Apple (bought) gets backed up too ? If so, can one access an individual PDF on the Mac.

I would hate loosing it all the PDFs in iBook.

BTW: All of a sudden the App Store does ask me to enter the Password for a new App download , even though the Restritions is ON and I don't have a Passcode.

May 12, 2015 3:52 AM in response to Boldsong

IF you have been using iTunes with your iPad and have been transferring purchases, your pdf files should be on the Mac either in iTunes or in the iBooks app on the Mac depending on which version of OS X you are running. Content that is not stored in the backup can be transferred to the Mac using the transfer purchases feature in iTunes.

Read this for more information about iTunes backups.

About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

IF sync with iTunes and transfer all purchases into iTunes, you should be able to recover most of your files. You cannot however, restore the backup, if the backup contains the forgotten or unknown restrictions passcode.

Login passcode vs restriction passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.